A few issues- <expletive> is it Cocci?!!?

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
Well my coop isnt off to a very great winter.

I may just be over reacting.

I have 2 three month olds and a little serama hen ( not sure of age) They both seem to have some what messy behinds... nothing really bad, they just look wet recently... they both also seem to have loose bowels... so much so that I can actually hear them go to the bathroom.

I thought it was maybe the apple cider vinegar in the water, the mana pro I put in their food or maybe just the cold. But after taking out the ACV and the mana pro they are still watery. I read on here someone giving them black tea and that fixes them right up, or should I worm them?? I have Wazine. Just not sure how much to give them since they are so small still.

Also with my little serama, she is congested in the nose, but not the chest... she doesnt really drip but I do have to wipe her nose once a day. I have tried Tylan for 3 days then came off it to try, VetRX, ACV and she still has a runny nose.... Has anyone ever tried to make their chicken sneeze like with black pepper??? I feel as though she just needs to "blow her nose" and she will be fine.

I did notice a few of my other hens sneezing today but I think that is just because it is windy and their pine shavings are getting kicked up.

Any thoughts??

Last edited:
If they are under 18 weeks I'd take a stool sample to the vet for a fecal float for worms if I could before treating. It might not be worms, and worming is hard on chickens...your chickens are still maturing their vital organs. Not everyone likes to involve the vet due to cost, however.

If you are asking specifically about wazine the dose for younger chickens is on the bottle.

Yeah that is why I am hesitant to worm any of them.

They have has enough stress already with the reorganizing of the pecking order and all.

No pasty but and nothing sticking to them... just a bit loose... almost seems as thought they are having cecal droppings all the time.

Yeah I am not to sure what to do about it. I gave them some yogurt, but thats about it.

All are fine in behavior. Eating and drinking. We introduced two girls. The serama is one of the new ones. But its been three weeks, the gentlemans flock I got her from is fine and this just showed up last week. The serama is older.

Above and beyond the other symptoms a chicken with a snotty nose and others sneezing smacks of the start of a respiratory infection. Keep an eye on them and institute antibiotic treatment if a full blown respiratory disorder occurs. Good luck.

Quote:
I've been giving her some Tulane and vetrx but neither has really done anything. I am beginning to think that she might just have allergies.

Back
Top Bottom