A Few More questions for you lovely people , Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    OK questions

1. If I had 14 eggs and they all were viable on day 18 and 12 hatched what was my hatch rate.?? And if 13 hatch<just incase that baby makes it> what would it be??[​IMG]

2. If I set eggs on 3/14/09 befor 10:eek:oam what would day 18 and 21 be, I keep confuseing my self.[​IMG]

3. What the Heck is all that fuzz , hair , feather stuff all over in the hatcher its kinda icky and it makes me sneez. If I blow on one of the babies after I take them out they lose some of this stuff.[​IMG]

Is a good wipe down with bleach water gonna be ok , I have some green evenrmently freindly all purpose cleaner would this work . I dont have time for much cleaning as I still have one egg in the hatcher and the above mentioned eggs are on somewhere between day 17-18 .[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for all youre wonderfull and enlightening advice and comments I cant wait to read them all.[​IMG]

2. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Oh and my chicks are very cute , They are RIR rooster with BR hen , little black fluff balls with redish orange spots instead of white like normal .
    RIR rooster with RIR hen , normal
    and RIR rooster with silver wyndot?? I dont know anything about it but Im guessing these are the chicks that look like chickmunks.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:1. I hate math so I'm not going to figure it out.

2. Today is day 18

3.The fuzzy stuff is chick down that they lose.

4. No, a quick wipe down isn't enough. You need to clean it with hot soapy water. And then rinse it with a weak bleach solution and then rinse it well again. It's best if you can allow it to air dry in between.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Ok so if my 11 eggs are on day 18 do you think its ok to leave them another 24 hours , becuase I have a single egg in the hatcher that I am waiting to see if it will hatch , its on day 22. Or should I take it out pop it into the other bator for a bit while I scrub down the hatcher and let it dry. Im afraid of cross contaminating the other two hatches in the incubator by doing this but I will if I need to.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    You take number of eggs that hatched and divide by number of eggs set.. 12 divided by 14 or 13 divided by 14.. 14 divided by 14 would be 100% anything else will be less than 100%.....

I would never bathe a baby chicken.

6. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    if you had 14 in bator and only 12 hatched, your hatch rate would be 85.72% if you had 13 hatch it would be 92.86%. that giving each chicks a value of 7.1428571% to dived into 100 chicks william

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't move mine to the hatcher until early on day 19 anyway. I'd still want to clean it tho before the other group hatches. All the yuck from when they hatch will get pretty nasty.

8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I do want to clean it Im just trying to figure out how and when to do it , Im not shure the egg will hatch but Im gonna give it a chance. If I clean it and the egg hasnt hatched can I put the old egg and the new eggs in the hatcher at the same time. ?
    I hope non of the 11 hatch early there are a couple little eggs in there I think are banty but I dont know what kind of eggs these all are they are the 11 I got out of 24 from someone and there a grab bag of barnyard birds bunch of diffrent colors and sizes, most eggs dont hatch early though.
    I hope my old egg sloves this delimma for me and is hatched when I get home [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by