A few muscovy questions.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by conny63malies, Jun 11, 2008.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I have three scovies that were born 4/27 they live full time outside. Happily i might add.
    When do they get ugly?I mean when do thy get their caruncles. For now they are awfully cute. Also when do females start laying ?
    I think i have one girl. I want to breed them so i ordered some eggs to get fresh blood in , i dont want to mate siblings. What do i need to know there. Anything you want to share.? I know about the 35 days incubation, but the rest, temp and humidity i am not sure off.
    Also what is the suggest female to male ratio? Anything else you want to share? maybe links to websites?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

They start getting "ugly" in a few months. [​IMG] Mine took about a year before they started laying. I have one male to five females & two males will fight to the death, so I only have one male per pen.

3. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    The ugly about 6 to 8 months old. "Hen laying" I had a hen that hatched in 07 and she layed and hatched in 07.I have been breeding Muscovys for about 5 years now they live in a big back yard. I have about 30 grown ducks, and this year they have hatched about 100 duckling there are 7 more hens setting. My males do fight but I have not had a death!
    De

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    De, do you have eggs or scovey ducklings available???

5. Rare Feathers Farm

I have both--but they are slowing down the laying for this year....

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    What colors do you have? I really want some blacks or blues. I'd like to stay away from the pieds.

7. Rare Feathers Farm

I have black/whites and chocolate pieds. In separate pens, now. I have a young pair of blues, too. But they are still little fuzzies.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Are you black/whites bibbed or pied? I wouldn't mind bibbed, but I don't want any pieds or solid whites.

And keep me in mind for next year for babies or eggs out of the blues!

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:countryhatchery has some solid black chicks for sale. min is only 6

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    What's the website address?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by