A few new pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by YakLady, Oct 12, 2009.

1. YakLady

YakLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    Here's how I started out the day yesterday:

[​IMG]
    Cookin' eggs on top of my little woodburning stove-YUM!!!!

[​IMG]
    Those who blessed me with said eggs.

[​IMG]
    My little rescued Roo, Fricken. Fricken doesn't like chickens, but he loves the other livestock. This is him standing on top of Bella. He likes to stand and sit on the sheep, and with my baby yak.

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Nice pics! [​IMG] Fricken cracks me up. Does he realize he's a chicken?? [​IMG] Too funny. [​IMG]

3. YakLady

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    LOL! Yeah, he cracks me up, too. I absolutely love the little guy-never thought I'd say that about a chicken.

Since I'm on here quite a bit now, here are a few more pics of who I am:

[​IMG]
    Back view of my home

[​IMG]
    One of my favorite trees. The yak like to lie down under it.

[​IMG]
    The creek

[​IMG]
    Yaks cleaning out the garden yesterday

[​IMG]
    Bella, Betty, and Gordita

[​IMG]
    Macy

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Wow, such nice digs! I'm soooo glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I saw the pic of Macy - she looks like a hoot too. [​IMG]

5. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Yaks! so cool. There is a little place around here that has a few yaks. They are funny... always itching themselves with those big horns.

I like your yak/sheep-loving rooster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Wow Yaks! What do you use them for? Just wondering. Seems like they don't have much meat on them. (compared to a cow...or musk-ox lol)

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You have a gorgeous piece of property! Thank you for the lovely pictures.

8. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    what do you use the yaks for?

9. YakLady

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    Thanks, all.

Yaks are used for meat and fiber. They are bovine, but they do not moo. They grunt. They are called Bos Grunniens. Their meat tastes just like beef, except it is extremely tender and almost completely fat free. They develop their fat layer right under the skin instead of marbleizing in the meat. This results in a red meat that is high in Omega 3's and CLAs and low in saturated fats, cholesterol and triglycerides. It is also very low in palmitic acid compared to beef, and it is more healthy for you than skinless chicken and fish. Yak meat is a red meat which offers heart patients and athletes a new opportunity in fine dining. It is exceptionally rich in body building proteins, minerals, vitamins, and the right fats for building muscle mass and good health.

Yak have two layers of hair. The outer layer is long and waterproof. It is used for human hair extensions, clown wigs and fly fishing lures. The underlayer is shed through a molting process every Spring, and is brushed out and cleaned. The microfiber count is compared to cashmere, and it does not produce static while spinning. It also felts beautifully, and spinners prize it. The wool sells for about $4/oz; yarn sells for about $32/oz.

Sooooo..... that's what you use yak for. Oh, and the size is a bit smaller than traditional beef cattle. The bulls average about 1200 lbs at maturity (2 1/2 years), and cows range between 600-900 lbs. They have low birth weight babies which never have to be pulled. Calves are around 25 lbs at birth, and are completely weather-hardy right from the start. They never require shelter, and consume 1/3 of what beef cattle consume. They are free-range creatures, and we only give them grain as a treat to keep them socialized with us. They are also parasite and disease resistant. They're also just really cool to look at, with their hairy cow bodies, horse tails, big horns and goat hooves. [​IMG]

10. YakLady

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    [​IMG]

Here's a good pic of some of my yak. The big guy on the far right with his head down a bit is one of my bulls, Raven. He's only 2 yrs old. He's called an Imperial, because he's completely black with a black nose. Supposedly, they're pretty desirable in the yak world, so he's our stud bull. Here's hoping we end up with some Imperial babies in the Spring. [​IMG]

The girls with him are some yak cows that we bought from Idaho. The one lying down is called a grey-nose black (her name is Hariti). The other two are called Trims. Their names are Zelda and Val. Two other types of yak (we do not have these two types) are Royals and Goldens. Royals are used mostly for fiber (they're mostly white), and Goldens are sold mostly for breeding. The gold color is the result of both parents having a recessive gene, and they are very rare.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by