a few of my chickens are pooping something that looks like mustard

FLURRYOFTEXAS

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
texas
i have chickens that are doing great, everything is normal. but a few are pooping mustard yellow poop. i dont know which ones are doing it i just see it on the ground. all of them are running around acting fine so i dont know what to do.

You'll get mustard. You'll get pudding. You'll get just about every food analogy you can think of...lol. That's chicken poo for ya'
tongue.png
Unless they're acting "off" or you see worms or blood in poo, I wouldn't worry.

I have a hen will be 1 year end of May today she started laying around not eating or drinking I separated her after a while she was not acting better gave her with a dropper some water with electrolytes and she finally pooped but it was a liquid bright mustard yellow I have her in a small cage inside she is sleeping now have no idea what is going on

I have a hen will be 1 year end of May today she started laying around not eating or drinking I separated her after a while she was not acting better gave her with a dropper some water with electrolytes and she finally pooped but it was a liquid bright mustard yellow I have her in a small cage inside she is sleeping now have no idea what is going on
Are you sure an egg didnt break inside her? If so, bacterial infection will set in and recovery is in doubt even with antibiotics.

If it's blackhead, treatment is metronidazole. Give one 250mg pill twice a day for 5 days. Then worm her with valbazen or safeguard 3 days in a row,

9608ABC9-78AD-44C9-8F4E-2EDB4D14A6A8.jpeg

Did it look like this? It’s a bright yellow my girl she has been a little lethargic even for her. Comb and waddles also pale in comparison to others. What happened to your bird?

Are you sure an egg didnt break inside her? If so, bacterial infection will set in and recovery is in doubt even with antibiotics.

If it's blackhead, treatment is metronidazole. Give one 250mg pill twice a day for 5 days. Then worm her with valbazen or safeguard 3 days in a row,
I was thinking the same thing when she described the poo.
That sounds like a softshell maybe or a rooster can break a fully shelled egg also.
I would def recommend soaking her in a warm bath in a plastic tub or sink. Hold her up and let her sit in water. I used to push water near her back end so she would make the motion of poo'ing and it would help get more out. If you notice her acting off and not wanting to eat you need to ask your avian vet for antibiotics. Please keep us posted! Best of luck

View attachment 2850680
Did it look like this? It’s a bright yellow my girl she has been a little lethargic even for her. Comb and waddles also pale in comparison to others. What happened to your bird?
This thread is old - originally started in 2011, then revived in 2018. Your posing a question, so I assume you need some help?

What do you feed, how old is she, when is the last time she laid an egg?
The urates in the poop photo you posted are yellow. This could indicate something going on with the liver. Fatty Liver Disease, reproductive disorders, cancer, etc... sometimes can cause that.

You mention lethargy - consider getting a fecal float to see if worms may be part of the problem, feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid, look her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Work on hydrating her, then see if she will eat/drink. There's numerous issues this could be. Hopefully with a bit more info we can offer better suggestions.

Thank you. She is a 27 months. She started laying a month ago. Then went broody a little over a week ago. Which I broke right away. She got sour crop when I first brought them outside as chicks, most likely due to the long grass. I had been giving them water with oregano oil as chicks and stopped as they got a little older, I started doing this again and her sour crop seemed to clear up, no more smelly breath. She is eating and drinking, but just a bit more sluggish than usual, although she has always been extremely laid back. She’s laid three eggs since her break from being broody. Before she laid yesterday I was sure I was going to lose her. But after she laid she seemed to perk up and act like herself. She didn’t lay today so hopefully tomorrow is not like yesterday. I did notice her crop clearing quite a bit yesterday, so that scares me. But she doesn’t smell sour. Her comb and waddles seem a little bit pale in comparison with the others so that has me worried as well. I’m almost thinking time for the vet. Because unless it’s an easy treatment I’m not sure I’m comfortable with some of the crop clearing techniques I’ve seen. I love my bird and she is like a pet to me, so Id really love to save her. Thanks for any advice
This thread is old - originally started in 2011, then revived in 2018. Your posing a question, so I assume you need some help?

What do you feed, how old is she, when is the last time she laid an egg?
The urates in the poop photo you posted are yellow. This could indicate something going on with the liver. Fatty Liver Disease, reproductive disorders, cancer, etc... sometimes can cause that.

You mention lethargy - consider getting a fecal float to see if worms may be part of the problem, feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid, look her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Work on hydrating her, then see if she will eat/drink. There's numerous issues this could be. Hopefully with a bit more info we can offer better suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom