a few of our new TSC chicks have goopy eyes. why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tazzy, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I bought 15 chicks at TSC two days ago. Three of the buff orp chicks have eyes with a bit of discharge. It's enough so that every morning my husband has to gently pull their eyelids open, so that they can see. What could be causing this? What treatment should we do? Will the other chicks be affected? Thanks!

The chicks came from Mt. Healthy, which is usually a good hatchery. So they shouldn't have come with diseases. I hope!

They're completely separated from our adult flock, so they're all fine.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Could be a respiratory problem but I had 2 chicks hatch with bits of goo that dried over their eyes. I wiped a bit of it off and thought it would be fine. Their eyes crusted over. I cleaned them and tried to wait it out but their eyes stayed crusted for 2 days. I was thinking of getting something else to treat them but the feedstore I use was rather limited so I just cleaned them really really well including using tweezers to pull away the feathers and any hard lumps of stuff around their eyes. Next day one was nearly recovered and the other was only about half as bad. I cleaned them well again and 2 days later one is pretty much recovered and the other only has a little goo in the corners. It hasn't spread to the others and they don't act sick at all so I think it really was just irritation and the more the eyes crusted over them the more irritated they got making it constantly worse.

If they are acting sick, more than a couple have it, or it starts to spread I would assume illness. Otherwise I would just take a warm damp paper towel and try to wipe it all off.

3. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    okay, thanks! they don't act sick at all. they're very active and eating and drinking and no pasty butts or anything like that.

4. tazzy

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    has anyone else experienced this? thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by