A "Few" Peafowl Questions. . .

LilJoe

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 15, 2016
Missouri
Hello,

I am considering maybe getting a peacock or a pair, but Im still unsure about it. My questions are below. . .

1. I've read Peacocks can be very aggressive. Is this always the case or is it like roosters(treat them a certain way, dont do this, dont do that, some are aggressive, some aren't, etc.) ?
  2. Do Peacocks only scream during breeding season?
  3. How long is the breeding season?
  4. Are Peacocks still loud without peahens?
  5. Can peacocks live without peahens?
  6. Is it safe for them to roost in trees? (Raccoons, opossums, stray cats)
  7. Do peahens have a clutch every year (if not stopped)?
  8. Are peahens loud aswell?
  9. Do they get along with chickens and dogs?
Sorry for so many questions, I'm new to peafowl (considering I've never owned any). Any other information you can share would be appreciated, too! :)

-LilJoe

Hello,

I am considering maybe getting a peacock or a pair, but Im still unsure about it. My questions are below. . .

1. I've read Peacocks can be very aggressive. Is this always the case or is it like roosters(treat them a certain way, dont do this, dont do that, some are aggressive, some aren't, etc.) ?
  2. Do Peacocks only scream during breeding season?
  3. How long is the breeding season?
  4. Are Peacocks still loud without peahens?
  5. Can peacocks live without peahens?
  6. Is it safe for them to roost in trees? (Raccoons, opossums, stray cats)
  7. Do peahens have a clutch every year (if not stopped)?
  8. Are peahens loud aswell?
  9. Do they get along with chickens and dogs?
Sorry for so many questions, I'm new to peafowl (considering I've never owned any). Any other information you can share would be appreciated, too! :)

-LilJoe
A friend of mine whose house I used to visit a lot raised peafowl. I'll answer the questions from what I found:
  1. I would say they are weary of people
  2. Nope, they scream all the time
  3. No clue
  4. More so
  5. Yea, my friend had 4 peacocks in a separate pen
  6. Probably not, but I've seen some people do it. In my area, we have none of those predators though
  7. Yup, her peahens went broody every spring
  8. A bit, if they are riled up
  9. Absolutely, she raised them with 5 dogs and tons of chickens
Hope this helps a tad :p

BlackHackle post: 20298568 said:
A friend of mine whose house I used to visit a lot raised peafowl. I'll answer the questions from what I found:
  1. I would say they are weary of peopl. Nope, they scream all the time
  2. No clue
  3. More so
  4. Yea, my friend had 4 peacocks in a separate pen
  5. Probably not, but I've seen some people do it. In my area, we have none of those predators though
  6. Yup, her peahens went broody every spring
  7. A bit, if they are riled up
  8. Absolutely, she raised them with 5 dogs and tons of chickens
Hope this helps a tad :p
Thank you, BlackHackle :) This is helpful.

I don't mind their calls, but my family does. And I have no idea what my neighbors would think.
Their calls are actually cool, calming, and beautiful to me. I have no idea how people can't stand them. xD

Thank you, BlackHackle :) This is helpful.

I don't mind their calls, but my family does. And I have no idea what my neighbors would think.
Their calls are actually cool, calming, and beautiful to me. I have no idea how people can't stand them. xD
You are welcome :p
Yea, it's the same with geese for me. I don't mind their extremely loud honking, but everyone else does :rolleyes:

Do Peacocks only scream during breeding season?
They make noise year round, but mostly during breeding season.
How long is the breeding season?
~April through August

Are Peacocks still loud without peahens?
Yes.

Is it safe for them to roost in trees? (Raccoons, opossums, stray cats)
Raccoons can still get them in trees.

Do peahens have a clutch every year (if not stopped)?
Some will, some won't.

Are peahens loud aswell?
They can be.

Do they get along with chickens and dogs?
Some do, some don't.

I think sometimes the screaming depends on the bird too? I have 2 male & 2 female who turned 2 in April so this was their first breeding season and they called for a couple months and I haven't heard a peep out of them other then their honking when they get startled or see something suspicious. I wonder if that will change next year when they are 3? They were fertile this year, I just had babies hatch yesterday.

1. They can be during breeding season or if they are imprinted on people
2. They scream all year but they are loudest during the breeding season
3. 3-5 months depending on your weather
4. Yes
5. They can but in my experience they are more likely to wander off if you don't have any hens and free range them.
6. Depends on your area and if you have many predators.
7. They will lay every year regardless but whether or not they will go broody is a toss up. They are very picky about nesting and if they don't like their enclosure's nesting opportunities they will just lay eggs wherever.
8. If you startle them yes.
9. Unless you have a vigorous de-worming program I would not mix them with chickens as chickens carry many diseases that won't harm them but are fatal to peafowl such as blackhead. As for dogs peafowl will always be wary of them but if the dog doesn't chase them there usually aren't to many problems.

1. They can be during breeding season or if they are imprinted on people
2. They scream all year but they are loudest during the breeding season
3. 3-5 months depending on your weather
4. Yes
5. They can but in my experience they are more likely to wander off if you don't have any hens and free range them.
6. Depends on your area and if you have many predators.
7. They will lay every year regardless but whether or not they will go broody is a toss up. They are very picky about nesting and if they don't like their enclosure's nesting opportunities they will just lay eggs wherever.
8. If you startle them yes.
9. Unless you have a vigorous de-worming program I would not mix them with chickens as chickens carry many diseases that won't harm them but are fatal to peafowl such as blackhead. As for dogs peafowl will always be wary of them but if the dog doesn't chase them there usually aren't to many problems.
Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom