A few problems in my flock....Help Please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Grillmaster33, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Legs given in?
    My beautiful Delaware, Blue, who lays beautiful brown eggs has suddenly been unable to stand up. She is a BIG and heavy bird, so could this be the problem. She's not dirty, she's been able to turn to and from the waterer and feeder, so she's eating, but what gives?

Got the sniffles?
    I'm hearing a few sneezes and wheezes throughout the flock. I add Cocci and Kicken Chicken (as if I know those will help) but is is the same reason that I'm sniffling? THe weather? What do I do to treat what may be a cold?

Need a tissue for that eye?
    Two hens have eyes that have crusted over and have closed. Luckily I took the advice of a post from long ago. The person mentioned using Neosporin. So I tried. On one hen, it seems to be working. After I wiped her eye again today. One was completely open. The other one was still gooey. The other hen, however, is not even eating. Her eyes have opened slightly but she's all bones. More neo?

Just went dead.
    Both started off just fine. One made it several months of being sort of lethargic, but still pecking about the yard and flying high upon the roosts. And the other one made it several weeks of doing the same. Both were found dead yesterday. Both had been reeeeeeally slow moving the day before.

Please help. I love my flock of 40+ and want to keep them alive and well.
    -Grill

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I know your pain!

My flock of just 8 are going through this "lets all have something wrong with us" phase. Its annoying and stressful.

Sniffles:
    I would put them all on duramycin or tylan immediately.

Eyes:
    Not sure about that but I would try to clean them off with maybe a saline solution, and then make sure they are on duramycin or tylan

Legs:
    Sounds like it may be a vitamin defficency. If you type that into the search engine on here there is some great info on that.

Dead:
    Yikes- you may want to do a necropsy (hard I know but pretend it is high school Biology and see what might be out of place).

I am no expert but I am just trying to help :)

3. Sunkhaze Farm

Sunkhaze Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    seems to be the winter for that sort of thing as I have heard this sort of stuff from several friends with chickens. I have one that has been slightly lethargic off and on for a few weeks. Last few days she has gotten more so. I moved her into the garage and she is in a large dog kennel. I wonder if the strange weather (well strange here in Maine) has had anything to do with it. Here it is the middle of Feb and it should be in the single digits and a foot or so of snow and it was 40 today and rained a ton. Try some poly vi sol with out iron to give them a bit of a vitamin boost. Good luck, hope no more become sick. [​IMG]

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Necropsy, yes. But through a state lab that can tell you exactly what you are dealing with!! Most states have labs that will do them at no or little cost.

5. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Thanks Clara. I'll definitely be going in for some Tylan....today.

6. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Vitamins. Check!
    Added to the list of things to pick up.

7. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Interesting. I may have to look into that...Thanks guys.

Any other ideas from lurkers/readers? Help out.

You can catch my beautiful flock at Youtube.com/Grillmaster33

8. Grillmaster33

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Well, the Delaware hen is moving about again!
    My black game hen's vision is looking better.
    But the Ameracauna, she still will not eat, though her eye has opened a bit..

9. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Crusted eyes and sniffles are immediate causes for concern. I'd treat the whole flock as if they've been exposed to a respiratory ailment. It could be viral, but treat with an antibiotic anyway - often there are secondary infections. Treat with Tylan. You can wipe off the eyes with a warm,damp paper towel.
    But, I'd also worry about excess weight on your birds. Hens can and do get fat. Reduce treats, especially cracked corn. Add lots of greens to the diet.
    BTW, not all states do necropsies. Many (like mine, MA) will only necropsy if the disease is of economic importance. You can have a vet run a blood sample of a sick bird to find out the exact pathogen, but that will cost $ - I did it and it ran to over $200 (including the vet visit). I've blogged about that. http://www.hencam.com/henblog/2011/05/not-mycoplasma/

10. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    If she wont eat you may need to feed her by syringe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by