A few question on shipping chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by danamillette, Jan 7, 2009.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    First off, how many at the least should be shipped to help them keep warm this time of year? Also, I hear there is a heating mat that can be used to help them keep warm. Any info on this mat?

Thanks!

Dana

2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    This time of year? Wisconsin?
    Michigan, here.
    IMHO - no chicks should be shipped in "our" neck of the woods in Winter.

3. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    What about eggs?

4. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Some companies claim to have found a "heating element" that they can ship with the chicks so you can order 8 or fewer. Some recommend as few as 3 if you live nearby the hatchery, 6 if you live just outside a major city, and 8 if you are considered "rural".

Most companies will put in "packing peanuts", male chicks that are just packed in for free to help with warmth. I haven't had mine come yet, so I have no idea how I will tell the difference between the chicks I ordered vs. the warming chicks when they get here. Some people say just order and then sell off or give away the packing peanuts when they get old enough to "sex".

A lot of companies will require 25 chick minimum for regular sized chicks and around 30-35 for bantam chicks. Ideal will sell lower numbers. It seems a lot of people around here order from them. The other option is to get some form a "local" breeder. We don't have any that I know of yet so I ordered from Ideal. 3 GLW, 3 SLW, and 1 Buff Orp. I will let you know next week how it turns out... if you can wait that long! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by