A few questions about ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Carolinagirl08, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Carolinagirl08

Carolinagirl08 New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    North Carolina
    I just bought a pekin duckling a few days ago. I was wondering if there is any type of snacks that I can give her? I was also wondering are there any types of toys I can give her to play with to occupy her self?

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    You could put a mirror in her brooder box. Lone ducklings tend not to thrive as well as those with "friends"; the mirror will act as a "friend".

You can put an old, small, teddy bear in the brooder box for your pekin to snuggle up to - alternatively, make a "nest" by making a doughnut shape from an old hand towel.

Snacks? Well, you could go outside, find some dandelion leaves, break them into small pieces and put those in the food dish. Also, a mashed up boiled egg yolk is a great treat! You can also feed it some milk, but that can get messy!

At a week old, you can give it some mashed peas; note I said mashed. At 3 weeks old it will be able to eat a whole (cooked) pea/s.

Even at just a few days old, for "exercise", it will follow you around the garden - just do not leave it outside unattended at this stage!

3. Carolinagirl08

Carolinagirl08 New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much. She has already started following me around. I will try your suggestions.

4. jessiduck

jessiduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    New York
    Try a mirror! All birds love them!
    You can also try playing with string... just don't leave them unattended with it!!!!

5. TheDuckWoman

TheDuckWoman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    Cambridge, England
    Sorry if this sounds like I'm ordering you around but I would really really recommend getting at least one other duckling for company, ducks are really social birds and get lonely if they're on their own. I sometimes give my ducklings mashed up strawberries when they are younger - they adored them! When they got a few weeks older I made a revolting looking paste thing made of mashed banana and soggy weetabix in milk, with some diced apple and sometimes sweetcorn. They DEMOLISHED that! As for toys, I try to spend as much time as I can with them, but inevtiably there are times when I have to leave them for long periods, so I would clear a space in my room and block off under the bed etc. and hide food and treats in crevices, ducks are foragers so they love poking their beaks into nooks and crannies! - toilet roll holders are always a good one.

P.S ducks are ridiculously dopey so make sure you don't leave him/her unattended where they could possibly hurt themselves! Good luck :) pekins are a wonderful breed :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Before treats, the duckling needs to have been eating small amounts of chick sized grit or clean coarse sand so they can "chew" the food, and not get impacted.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I go out in the yard with a shovel and bring them a piece of ground with grass on top, they can play with that for hours. and the dirt will help them with the grit issue.

8. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
  9. Carolinagirl08

Carolinagirl08 New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone! Its been very helpful!

10. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Now that is a very good tip! [​IMG]

I was "walking" my 2 wk old duckling this morning and in the doing, pulled up some weeds: she was on my hand with the weeds like a shot! She also enjoys rooting in the mud, which, I'm assuming, has little bits of grit in it and other yummies. So, as a result, I did just as you have mentioned and put a clod of earth with roots attached in her brooder. She is having a ball nuzzling around in that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by