A few questions about ducks and chickens

Birdlover 13

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2015
South Africa
So I plan on getting 3 Buff orpington chickens and 2 Indian runner ducks. These I plan on housing together in a 2x3 meter coop and a 15 square meter run. Now the run is going to be like a large tunnel, 1 meter high and wide, against the walls of our vegetable garden.
Here are the questions:

1. Will this be enough space for 5 birds? I will try to let them out in the day onto the lawn.

2. What will the best coop and run bedding be for chickens and ducks? I had the deep litter method in mind.

3. I've heard that ducks can eat the same feed as chickens. Is this suitable for the ducks?

4. Will the run be tall enough for the Indian runners? Or do they prefer to have a large space above their heads?

5. When I finally get the chickens and ducks should I first introduce the ducks to their new home and when they are comfortable should I then introduce the chickens or is it the other way round?

Thank you so much for any answers!!

Last edited:
So I plan on getting 3 Buff orpington chickens and 2 Indian runner ducks. These I plan on housing together in a 2x3 meter coop and a 15 square meter run. Now the run is going to be like a large tunnel, 1 meter high and wide, against the walls of our vegetable garden.
Here are the questions:

1. Will this be enough space for 5 birds? I will try to let them out in the day onto the lawn.

2. What will the best coop and run bedding be for chickens and ducks? I had the deep litter method in mind.

3. I've heard that ducks can eat the same feed as chickens. Is this suitable for the ducks?

4. Will the run be tall enough for the Indian runners? Or do they prefer to have a large space above their heads?

5. When I finally get the chickens and ducks should I first introduce the ducks to their new home and when they are comfortable should I then introduce the chickens or is it the other way round?

Thank you so much for any answers!!
1. yes this should be enough for 5 birds 2. for the run floor, and egg laying boxes i use straw for there roost boxes and shelves i use pine shavings 3. yes i feed them the same feed. 4, i would make it at least 3 ft tall don't know exactly what metric measurements are 5. i would try putting them in together and for the first week the will establish a pecking order so dont worry about the bullying and stuff

I keep both chickens and ducks in the same coop. I have 11 mallards, 7 pekins and 22 chickens. The mallards and the chickens all sleep together in one area, and the pekins sleep in another section, and all are together in the same outdoor pen. My mallards like to sleep on the edges of the coop, especially under the nesting boxes. This keeps them from getting bombed by the chickens above! My #1 recommendation is to keep the food and water out of the coop. I started with food and water inside, and the ducks make a huge mess out of everything. Once I move it outside, the coop area stayed dry and much cleaner.

Quote: I keep both chickens and ducks in the same coop. I have 11 mallards, 7 pekins and 22 chickens. The mallards and the chickens all sleep together in one area, and the pekins sleep in another section, and all are together in the same outdoor pen. My mallards like to sleep on the edges of the coop, especially under the nesting boxes. This keeps them from getting bombed by the chickens above! My #1 recommendation is to keep the food and water out of the coop. I started with food and water inside, and the ducks make a huge mess out of everything. Once I move it outside, the coop area stayed dry and much cleaner.

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll definitely keep the tip about food and water in mind.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom