A few questions , about goats .

Laurena

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
We've been talking and are considering getting a couple pygmy goats .

How much can I expect to pay for feed per month for two pygmy goats ?

Do you think a goat will eat my gunnera plant ?

What can I expect to pay for a couple pygmy type goats , pet quality ?

Thanks .

around here you can get a pygmy(pet quality) for around $50-$75, sometimes less. if they aren't prego or are wethers most people don't feed grain. pasture, free choice hay, free choice mineral and baking soda. oh and of course water. give them a shelter too. for just two it doesn't need to be very big. my wether nigerian only gets a half cup of grain a day. i have a milker and one with a kid so they eat in grain whatever they put out in milk. a couple of bags of grain and a bale of hay last awhile even still. it really just depends on what your set up is. your price of grain depends on where you buy it. goat feed here is still under ten bucks at one place so i'm pretty lucky compared to some places. hope that helps some. i don't know what a gunnera plant is but if your worried then maybe you can put something around it. again i don't know what it is. mine prefer trees over plants.

Last Nov. we bought 2 baby pygmy goats (a boy & a girl). We paid approx. $65.00 for both. They were 4 wks old & we bottle fed them 4x/day & provided hay. We bought their formula from a co. here in Minnesota. We weened them in Jan/Feb & now they eat mostly hay & whatever is finally growing in their pen. We buy Purina Goat Chow for approx. $13.00/bag & they get about 2 cups a day (which they share). The bag lasts about 3-4 weeks. A bale of hay lasts about the same time @ $4.50/bale.

They eat most everything - except table scraps!! We throw scraps to the chickens & the only things the goats pick out is bread. They even get into the compost pile & pull out tea bags & coffee filters. They even sometimes chew the 'bark' off the fence posts around the pen. So... chances are, they could eat your plant - if it's a bushy type.

We just love our goats. They are SO friendly & wag their tails when we pet them. I hope you find them as fun as we do.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom