A few questions about ideal hatchery......

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ninjascrub69, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Im thinking about ordering from ideal next year, so were you happy with the birds you got? Were they healthy? Did they refund lost orders/DOA's, and how was their customer service?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'm sure people will respond- (I haven't ordered from that particular hatchery but I have heard good things on here about them).

But in the meantime, if you plug in "Ideal Hatchery" into the search function at the top of the page, there are numerous threads that have been made. Also "favorite hatchery."

3. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:Good idea!
    Thanks!

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I just got my order from Ideal. [​IMG] I will never use them again. [​IMG] This is my second order through them. The first order was supposed to be sexed. [​IMG] I got more cockrels than pullets. [​IMG] I e-mailed them, but got no response. [​IMG] This order was to be shipped on Sept. 8, but I got a call saying they would be shipped on the 28th. Well, the morning of the 24th I got a call while I was on my way to work, 30 miles away, from the P.O. to come pick up my chicks. Ideal didn't bother to contact me before or after they were shipped. [​IMG] I went & got them, 2 were dead with no extras added. [​IMG] I was going to call them, but they weren't concerned about my last order, so I just decided my $$ will be spent elsewhere. [​IMG] I prefer [​IMG] Cackle, & will go back to useing them, but they usually don't have anything I try to order in the late summer. [​IMG]

5. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:I feel so bad for you!
    I hope your order from cackle goes better.

6. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I keep going to different threads about this and about 50% of the people say it SUCKS and 50% say ideal is awesome, im confused!

7. steveyou

steveyou Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Southeast Georgia
    I received an order from Ideal Poultry 6 weeks ago. I ordered 25 mixed straight run bantams. I died the next day. Five more died in the next 3 days. The shipment was received in late August and the weather here was like 95 to 98 with heat index of up to 115 degrees. I did not contact Ideal because of the weather conditions and felt that I possibly did not care for the chicks like I should (my ignorance). The chicks arrived on time. I have no problems with Ideal and would order from them again i n a heartbeat. Quality seems good and the prices was better than anybody.

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I order 10 from Ideal this summer. When they shipped it of course was the hottest week we had had heat indexes in the 100's. 9 chicks DOA and the other died 3 days later. I dont blame Ideal, when I called them to let them know the lady I talked to was very kind they refunded me for all the chicks even though at the time 1 was still alive. The only problem I see is that maybe the hatcheries all of them should hold off shipping when it so hot, but that isnt feesable as they have to ship when they hatch. I really blame our postal service. If they agree to accept live animals they should provide extra accomidations to insure the animals dont go through any hardships. As far as Ideal I think they were wonderful I just wont have anymore shipped from any hatchery.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Here's how you can settle your confusion. . .

Of the 50% that say Ideal sucked, this is why:

- Poor customer service, (happens to anyone)

- Chicks dead or weak on arrival (all dependent on how far away hatchery is from you and what time of year it is)

- Poor quality or sick chickens. (this is the big one, really. Hatcheries don't breed quality - They breed for quantity. So, with the fact that they need a LOT of chickens to lay a LOT of eggs in a small space, there will indeed be inbreeding, sickness, crossbreeding, and simply poor quality. For example - NEVER expect hatcheries to offer you real Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Aseels, Malays, Madagascar Game, Cubalayas, Thai Gamefowl, or Buff Cornish)

Of the 50% that say Ideal was good, this is why:

- Good customer service (any hatchery can offer good and bad)

- Healthy chicks on arrival (local hatchery; good time of year)

- Satisfied with final result of chickens (A lot of people don't care if it is crossbred or "pet" quality, they just want a pretty chicken or an egg laying machine.)

10. ninjascrub69

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Ok, i think i'll take a chance and order from them... but one more question. Do they ship out good quality birds? (yes i am aware it is a hatchery therefor its birds probably wont be anywhere close to show quality, i just meant as far as hatchery birds go)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by