A few questions about incubating under a broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by langfordcr, Jan 4, 2017.

1. langfordcr

langfordcr Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2016
    My hen went broody so I went for it (first timer). I put 12 eggs under her. We are down to 7. She kicked one out on day 2 and yesterday I found one busted (yolk everywhere), 2 cracked and another made it out of the coop with momma hen and I stepped on it not knowing it was there. I cleaned up the remaining eggs and removed soiled shavings from her nest.

Here are my questions:

1. I would like to candle on day 10 (tomorrow). We live in Texas and have had good weather until now. It will be in the teens tomorrow night which is when I would need to candle. Is it worth removing her from the nest on such a cold night to candle? Or wait until later? She's in a nesting box in the coop. It's raised off the ground and moving her is somewhat awkward. I've never dealt with my chickens "during their sleep". Is it true that she won't care what I'm doing? She's pretty protective during the day and growls and pecks me when I reach towards her.

2. Because our coop is off the ground, I don't want her to hatch in there. We are going to build a temporary "maternity ward" for her and the chicks so our dog doesn't mess with them as well as other predators. (My chickens free range). From what I've read, I should move them on day 17. Is this correct? Move during the night? My nests are plastic tubs filled with pine shavings so I can literally just pick up the tub and move the whole thing so there shouldn't be any disturbing of the eggs assuming momma will stay "asleep".

Thanks in advance for insight, advice, and suggestions.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Congrats on your first broody!

When candling eggs under a broody, I just lift them up at night and remove one egg at a time, candle and put back. She'll cluck and puff up some, but at night they generally don't try to peck.

I wouldn't move the hen until the chicks have hatched. Then you remove the risk of her abandoning the nest before the eggs have hatched. Once there are chicks, she'll stay with them. Night is the best time to move them.

Hope this helps and you have a good hatch!

3. langfordcr

May 30, 2016
    Should I worry about her trying to take them out of the coop? Or should I expect her to stay put as they are hatching? We have a ladder exit from the coop which makes me nervous.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    No, she'll stay for at least a day or two after the first hatch, and after that still stick close to the nest until the chicks are a little older.

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I had Broody Chickens setting Duck eggs in my Nest boxes...Was causing stress to my other Hens so I set up Brooder boxes in my garage........Enough room for each Hen, nests and feed.......

How I moved them was simple....I made sure it was all set up.....I collected the eggs and placed in the nests.....I then brought the ladies into the pens and fed them and watered them...a bit of scratch in the bowls also...They ate, drank, pooped and started setting the eggs as if nothing changed....All done mid afternoon.........I was always very quiet and no fast movements......

Cheers!

6. langfordcr

May 30, 2016
    We candled last night. It was freezing! Very cool having seen that for the first time. We removed 2 eggs that were clearly duds. Sure enough, when I cracked them open they were unfertilized. Another was uncertain...possibly a blood ring but being my first time doing this I wasn't positive so I left it. Four others looked good. We started with 12 and now have 5 in the nest. Momma hen was not too happy about the process but we got through it (while turning into icicles). Half way there today and I can't wait for hatch day!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Great! Sounds like everything is going well. Just keep an eye on the nest, and if the egg with the possible blood ring begins to smell or leak remove it.

8. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Letting a broody hatch eggs is so exciting! Glad to hear it's going well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by