A few questions about meat birds for a newbie

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stone_family3, Feb 12, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm looking to get a few meat birds and want to know what everyone's opinion on the best one is.

In your opinion what is the best breed of meat bird?
    Also about how much feed should each bird get?
    When is the best age to process?
    If you sell processed chickens how much do you sell them for?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Cornish Cross. You'll get close to a 5 pound dressed bird at 8 weeks of age.

I don't sell dressed birds. I don't want to deal with local law and insurance issues.

3. birdman1960

birdman1960 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    north central cheeseland
    I raise the cornish cross, nice large breasted bird gives a lot of white meat, most people I sell to, that is what the are looking for, 4.5-5.5 lb roaster with plenty of white meat, I also use a moveable pen, keep them on fresh grass, they have room to move around, and eat, and poop, and sleep, and eat some more. Wisconsin you can direct sell 1000 birds per year, but can only be sold at the farm gate, not at a farmers market, or any other venue, I use proper sanitary practices and handling procedures, vacuum pack and label with my name and address along with a certified weight.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I was thinking of selling them just to family and friends not at farmers markets. Just wondering what I should "charge" . I hear from others that it only cost about $1.75-2.50 a bird to process (unfortuately I haven't actually found these places).

I think our local TSC is going to be getting some Cornish crosses in so I'll have to check their prices.

Thanks for the help.

5. birdman1960

birdman1960 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    north central cheeseland
    Around here, central wisconsin, I think going rate for processing is $3.00 bird, which includes vacuum sealing and freezing, You have to figure your cost to purchase birds, feed, equipment, (shelter, feeders,waterers,) I just raise 25 or 30 in a batch, keep some for myself and sell the rest to help offset the cost of the ones we eat, I figure just as much work to raise 30 as it is to raise 10. I have seen prices of 2.75-3.00/lb for home grown roasters. I do the same with my layers, I have about 20, same theory, just as much work to feed and care for 20 as it would be for 4 or 6, the extra egg sales help off set the cost of the eggs we consume.. I keep close track of my costs, If I cannot get my expenses back, then I will just raise enough for personal use, as far as labor, it is my hobby, I am content to just cover my costs...However my friends and neighbors appreciate locally raised broilers and eggs, they know where their food came from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by