A few questions about worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3chickchicks, Oct 31, 2013.

1. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    On 9/22, I found roundworms. So I gave Valbazen (1/2 cc) and repeated the dose 10 days later. Today (10/31), I found tapeworms (small specks of white in poop). I dosed with Valbazen and will repeat in about 10 days (though I did find a chart that said to wait 14 days for tapeworms). My birds free range in my back yard.

Here are my questions-

1.) why did they get worms so quickly
    2.) is there anything I can do to the yard to cut back on worms. I'm worried because if I have to worm them every month, I'll have to throw away half of all of the eggs will produce!
    3.) does anyone worm their dogs with Valbazen or have other less expensive options than what you buy at the pet store? My dogs eat the poop so they should be wormed or have their stools checked.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It sounds like your birds ate insects carrying infective tapeworms eggs AFTER previously dosing with valbazen. Insects are the intermediate host for tapeworms. Purchase Zimectrin Gold equine paste wormer at a feed store. Give each chicken a "pea" size amount of the paste orally. They will wipe their beaks on the ground afterwards which is normal. Repeat dosing again in 10 days. The z-gold will take care of the tapeworms. There's a 14 day withdrawal after using the z-gold.
    The worms that infect chickens shouldnt infect your dogs, different types.

3. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013

4. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    How long after worming do u have to get rid of the eggs?

5. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    The Valbazen that I gave should get rid of the tapeworms, shouldn't it? I don't want to have to purchase yet another wormer.

But I'm still unsure of how to deal with the fact that of having to worm once a month and throwing eggs away for half of every month. There's got to be a way to deal with that. Surely not all free range chickens are getting wormed every month.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It should if you give enough of it. The study I read said that the most effective dose is 20mg/kg which means a normal sized RIR hen (2.9kg or 6.4 pounds) would get ~.58ml.

-Kathy

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Not everyone does what I do, but I'm still healthy. For years, I'd wait one week after worming before eating eggs. Using a Mebendazole wormer, or fenbendazole for worms back then. Most people wait two weeks. The environment providing opportunity for intestinal worm eggs to survive varies around the world. I wormed last time in April with Valbazen suspension. I was out today, and out of curiosity, went to inspect a new dropping left by a pullet. I saw little round worms wiggling through the dropping. It is time to worm again. That is how you know how often reinfections are taking place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by