1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A few Questions Building a Coop Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rosco, Jan 7, 2010.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    First Question: the house in the tractor will be 2'x4'x(2'-3') for "L x W x H." i'm wanting to put in a nest box that stick out for easier egg grab. what is the minimum l-w-h for a nest box?

i'll include photos of this being developed as i go.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Here is Tractor Build.

Photo #1: Run is to right. I'm holding lid of House open:
    [​IMG]

Photo #2: Here is close up of HOuse:
    [​IMG]

Question:
    a. what is minimal size for a door from run to coop? I'm thinking i'll put the door to the lower right (from perspective standing at low end and looking in)
    b. where should i put the hanging nest box? i'd like it 1/2 in and 1/2 out. i'll block off a part of the roost if necessay.

3. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    why am i not getting replies or reponse? It is a goooooood thing patandchickens has been helping me sooo much.

here is a nest box.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Welp, it is primed. now = paint, add chicken wire to top, figure out a door and then put 2"x4" screen on bottom. any suggestions?
    here is house: [​IMG]

here is tractor: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Your tractor is alot nicer then what I usually build. I use plastic milk crates. Screw them on the wall of my coop, Easy to remove for cleaning. The birds will lay in them whether they have straw in them or not. Might not be a pretty enough design for the average BYCer.

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It may have to do with this "I'm waiting for 7AM when i think it should be okay to fire up the circular saw again."
    I know what you mean, but.... some may not.

So far, I see nothing to help you with. Everything looks great. Keep it up.

7. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I can tell you that I made my nest boxes 12 x 12 x 12 and in the front I put a 1 x 6 so they wouldn't scratch out all of the shavings.

By the way.. Nice looking tractor

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

IF I remember correctly mine was about 12"x14" or something like that. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

9. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    THanks All!

I've build the nest box externally, as seen in photo below (12x12x18-14).
    i've spent the last few full days sanding, priming, resanding, filling, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, ..... i've only about two more rounds before i'm satisfied. i'd like this to be something pretty in backyard.

next, i'll paint with white paint. i plan on putting maroon trip around around doors/vents. the roof will be plastic (light weight). the roost will start off being about 6" off ground. i'll move it around until i find the best arrangement. or their best arrangement.

i'm also thinking to waterproof with a coat of Thompson's Waterseal.

in this photo of the run, the increase in smoothness and decrease in holes/cracks might be apparent. The wood was all salvaged. most everything here will have been salvaged. there has been at least 20 hours of work since last posted photo.

[​IMG]

in this photo, there are two new items: two new vents and the 2x6's. The 2x6's will allow me to drop in a piece of plywood as a floor if my screen floor (1x2) doesn't work.
    [​IMG]

i've a cool idea for the wheels. they'll be removable. to put wheels on, i'll have a mounted kickstand to prop it up so wheels are easily mounted and removed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  10. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Two Photos of finished Chicken Tractor. I'll add up cost later. most was salvaged. Hinges were the biggest expense.

[​IMG]

&

[​IMG]

A few Thank You's are in order to Patandchickens, Rebelcowboysnb and, of course, Dovecanyon.

- rosco

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by