A few questions for someone considering Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dixiegal62, Apr 10, 2012.

1. dixiegal62

dixiegal62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama
    To start raising quail, 2 pens that are 4X2X2 or one pen 8X2X2. Or would it be too small either way. Also if you have a wood floor can you just use sand for litter? I would be using memory foam attached to the top for protect their heads. I have 3 choices that I could buy locally Georgia Giants Bob Whites or Bob Whites or Pharaoh. Are any of these good beginner birds. Also if my pen/pens are big enough how many would you recommend? TIA

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Those size pens are fine for a few quail. I do not recommend the Bobwhites for beginners and you would probably enjoy Coturnix or the Pharaoh's much better. Bobwhites can be quite spastic and require a bit more work when it comes to housing. You can use a wooden floor. Any type of litter will work, shavings, grass hay or sand as you mentioned. You could probably keep 6 Pharaohs pretty comfortably in the 4x2x2, or 12 in the 8x2x2. Good luck on your new quail venture!

3. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Pharaoh are the easier and calmer of mentioned fast growing and egg laying machines.1sf per bird is good rule of thumb..cva34 2or 3 girls to each boy

4. dixiegal62

dixiegal62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama
    Thanks, think I'll go with 3 girls and a boy in each pen. Off to start researching.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by