A few questions from a new girl

GnomeGirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
To make a long story short, we have 6 ducklings all because someone bought one for an Easter gift (not me!). We have a pond and two natural streams here so we inherited 2 ducklings and then I bought 4 more.

We have a Blue Swedish, Pekin and 4 Mallards. All of the ducks are females. They are all feathering nicely though I am not sure exactly how old they are.

My main question has to do with feeding them. I bought a bag of whatever it was the feed store told me to get. I will have to check what it is tomorrow. What do you feed your ducks? And how much and how? Do you use a bowl or put it on the ground? And what do you use for water?

I have built a house for them that is 4 by 4 feet. The floor is vinyl and the back folds open for easy cleaning. When I get the roof on I will post pictures so you can laugh - and trust me you will be laughing.

Another question is what should I keep on hand for owning ducks? I have no time right now to go out and buy or borrow a book on ducks, let alone read one. I am trying to keep up with a household of animals and children and the end of the school year. I may not survive long enough to see these ducks into adulthood!

I will honestly appreciate any help you can send my way. I have been reading a lot here when I get the chance but feel a bit overwhelmed.

well there seems to be a lot of info on what to feed them...Ihave 4 (4 wks) Im feeding them what they told me to...the non medicated starter...I know you dont want to up them to the game grower ( this is for getting fowl big and fat for eating). They should recommend something at the store. They did for me. I am also letting them forage in the yard while I run the hose so they can dig in. Salad is yummy too. I use a game feeder to put the food in. They make a big mess so if you can lift the water and food off the ground a bit that will help. Never feed them without water btw...they are prone to choking. Good luck!
smile.png

I will have to go look at the feed store tomorrow before work for a game feeder. I'm not sure what that is.

The feed is some kind of started. I just didn't happen to catch the brand.

I am hoping the mallards fly away
smile.png
We have a lot of wild ones here and I hope they can all find mates.

Don't always rely on the feed store clerks to give you the best answers. 3ducks is right, they NEED water with food all the time. Since I have turkeys, chickens, geese and duck I wanted one feed to feed them all and that is Purina 'Flock Raiser' They eat out of my 'Little Giant' brand hanging feeder. I have tubs of water everywhere so that they can clean themselves. They are fun to watch. IMO they are easy. Try not to stress yourself out. Anytime you have a question, try the search button first then if that doesn't help, post the question and hopefully someone will help soon.
Btw
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from KS

Luckily I did know about the water with the food. I have taught my girls that too. I just didn't want to be making huge obvious mistake.

We have 4 Nigerian Dwarf wethers as well for pets. I am bit overboard with their food and upkeep. They eat all organic because I want to use their manure in the garden. I am hoping to find a good organic feed for the ducks too.

Quote:
Tame animals rarely make it in the wild. They may fly away but normally come back home & maybe bring there mate also.

I don't know the does & do nots but mine are eating 24% turkey grower & green stuff in the yard. As said before keep water for them. I use chicken feeders & waters with the only problem that I had is one stuck its' bill under the top part of the feeder & turned its head side ways & thought it was stuck. I turned its head back up right & it pulled away easily.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to go in the coop like the chickens.

Mine run when you get close to them

kingmt,,,all my ducks and geese take their time about going in to bed, ALWAYS!!!
All the chickens and turkeys are in for the night roostings. The D & G are in no hurry to go in. I just get a broom stick (to make my arms longer)
wink.png
and just walk behind them and guide them to the run. They know where they need to go. They are just stubborn like kids not wanting to go to bed just yet.
smile.png
They wanna see how long Mom lets them stay up.

Quote:
Tame animals rarely make it in the wild. They may fly away but normally come back home & maybe bring there mate also.

I don't know the does & do nots but mine are eating 24% turkey grower & green stuff in the yard. As said before keep water for them. I use chicken feeders & waters with the only problem that I had is one stuck its' bill under the top part of the feeder & turned its head side ways & thought it was stuck. I turned its head back up right & it pulled away easily.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to go in the coop like the chickens.

Mine run when you get close to them

Be careful of how high your protein is; too high and your ducks could develop a condition called 'Angel Wing'.
It looks stupid, but doesn't really affect their lives too badly.

Keep reading this site because there is so much information!

I feed mine starter feed, give them kitchen vege leftovers....lettuce, peas, cabbage, etc. and they forage my yard all day. I have a few different water sources....wading pool, a few rubbermaid tubs, buckets, they seem to find them all.

My DH has become the expert herder. I'm going to YOUTUBE his herding expertise in a few days and put it on my website to help folks. Just go really, really slow behind them and use your arms out to the sides to guide them. It doesn't take many movements. Just don't rush it and go ever so slow behind.

And I don't think anyone here laughs at any coops. I find them all intriguing and very creative. Mine is a Little Tikes playhouse turned duck house. It was free so how could I resist!! (see website for pics)

Good luck and have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom