A few questions in Louisiana :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Foodbankbarbie, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Foodbankbarbie

Foodbankbarbie New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Louisiana
    Hello, I'm Shannon!
    Got my babies in early Spring, don't have any friends with chickens. I live in Louisiana and this will be my first winter with chickens. 2 roos, 3 hens, 6 babies: I have no idea what kind they all are b/c I don't actually care. They are all BEAUTIFUL and that is all that matters. Is that odd? Is there a reason I should find out?
    Do I need to scoop poop everyday? I am horribly lazy.
    Everyone clips wings, right?
    Can you still eat eggs that sit out for 2 days?
    Is fresh hay enough to keep them warm?

Nice to meet you and thank you in advance!

..... and what's an infraction? Is that like a demerit? I went to Catholic girl's school so just reading that word made me shudder.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I like you already, you make me laugh!

No, you don't have to know, but if you are curious post some pics of them here: What Breed Or Gender is This?

No, don't have to. If you use sand in the coop and run it will help minimise the cleaning needed and make things a bit easier for you: Using Sand in Your Coops

I don't. Only if your chickens like flying out of the run and you'd much rather they don't: How To Clip & Trim Chicken Wings To Prevent Flight

Outside or out on the counter? If it was hot outside they will not the freshest, but still edible. They'll stay quite edible for weeks on the counter, depending again on temperature.

Their feathers will do that. Just make sure the coop is dry, well ventilated and draft free. Some good tips here: Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

This thread explains it well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...arning-system-points-for-rule-violations/0_20

As long as you read and understand the site rules and keep that in mind when you post, you'll have nothing to worry about [​IMG] Enjoy the site!

4 people like this.
  3. Foodbankbarbie

Foodbankbarbie New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Louisiana
    Thanks so much!!! Very helpful!! That was nice to wake up to :))))

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Sumi you're awesome :)

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Sumi said it all! The Catholic school remark made me laugh, remember those demerits also.

6. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Hello Food,
    Welcome to this site. I like your questions .. just asked whatever you need. And I like Sumi's reply .... lots of things to learn.
    I used to live in New Orleans and traveled to Baton Rouge and Lafayette a lot.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

8. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sumi, has nailed all of your questions to date - welcome to BYC. Infractions sting like a nun's ruler. [​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by