A few questions, new to meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Glenmar, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have about 30 chicks in a grow out coop right now. Most are blue and blue splash marans and some marans/ white rock mix.
    I would like to sell the pullets which will leave me with quite a few roosters. Right now they are 6-10 weeks old. I am still feeding them
    chick starter feed. What feed should I switch the roosters to after I sell the pullets? What is the ideal age for processing the roosters.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You could try a grower or broiler feed.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    That's what I was wondering.
    thanks

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Feed them laying mash or scratch, if you feed that to them when you have a flock of them and they do fine, why would you feed them something different when they are by themselves?

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Because roosters don't need a laying mash, which is formulated to help hens stay healthy while they lay healthy eggs. When you have roosters in a flock of hens, I agree that you would just let them eat the same thing the hens are eating, but if all you have is roosters, they don't need layer food. And, if he plans to process them, he wants to grow them as efficiently as possible. A grower or broiler formula is going to be higher in protein than a layer formula and therefore they will grow to processing size faster.

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I tried that too. I didn't really notice any faster growth. Sorry, try it and you'll see. You really can't believe that just because the feed company tells you that it is better for layers that it must be-Maybe- but I think the amount of "better" is debatable.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by