A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Nuttsy, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    Hi everyone! My 4 buttons are doing very well. Even the one I never thought would make it is alive and well.

[​IMG]

I wanted to ask a few things:
    1) Do chicks sleep a lot?
    2) Is the softwood bedding okay at this age?
    3) As a treat I give a few tiny mealworms now and then is that okay?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Yes yes and yes

1 person likes this.
  3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    If you feed anything other than bird feed you must provide grit. In the case of button I image sand would be easiest as even chicken chick grit is probably mostly too big. I usually just take a shovel of dirt from outside for chicks still in the brooder; my yard is mostly sand.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. ShangoBunny

ShangoBunny Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Virginia, USA
    They will also eat diatomaceous earth, which you can add to their food or just sprinkle in their habitat. They will take a dust bath in it and it's also good for preventing mites, worms, and lice. It has to be food grade so that it's safe for them and for you.

5. Nuttsy

Nuttsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    Thank you all! I have been feeding them the "Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird" feed. Occasionally I'll throw in very little chopped finch seed. But is the manna pro food good? I was reading something about salt toxicity?! I don't have access to gamebird feed so everything I have to order online.

6. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I have been feeding mine the Manna Pro Game bird/Show bird. I haven't had any issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by