A few questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MikasGirl, May 11, 2009.

1. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Hi! We have had chickens before, but we weren't sure on these chicks q's:

At what age can they run around outside under supervision?
    When are they old enough to
    a) be wormed
    b) not have a heat lamp

Thank you!

2. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    You should slowly wing them off the heat lamp trying to decrease the temperature 5 degrees a week or so. I'm not sure how to answer your question about the outside question since I just let them out and watch them after they are a week old or so which im sure I shouldn't do

3. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Okay. So they are almost two weeks old, so a couple more weeks with the heat lamp.

4. Katy_didnot

Katy_didnot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Yeah, then you'll have them down to about room temp anyway.

5. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    you can bring them outside on any warm day, preferably ones that aren't windy, as long as you stay very close to them. At that age they are easy prey for roaming cats, crows, and any other prey animal who wants a snack. Watch the chicks closely and at the first sign of chill bring them back in under the heat lamp.

6. MikasGirl

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    We just got three more chicks today that are what look like 5 days. It seems that they get along with the other ones that are almost two weeks. When do chickens hit their "ugly" stage?

7. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    at about 3 weeks old. It seems like 3 - 5 weeks old they really have that teen awkward look.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine are out running with the big girls all day by 5 weeks. I leave a light on that they can get to during cold days and on at night for 1 more week then they are in the big coop. Occasionally I have one that hasn't feathered out at he same rate as the others and he will have to stay behind with the new batch of babies for another week or so. I have never had a problem with that schedule, never had a sick chick or lost one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by