1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A few questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhd077, May 12, 2011.

1. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    This is my first hatch that actually hatched and i have a few questions. 1st how do you know when the hatch is over? This is only day 20 for me but right now i don't have any more eggs pipped or anything. 2nd if i don't have any pipped when can i take my babies out? ( i have 2 that were born sometime between 11pm and 3:30 am that are dry) I know i am going to get 100 diffrent answers to that last one, but i want to know what ya think.

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    The hatch is over when one of two things happen:
    1. all the eggs hatch [​IMG]

2. day 26 rolls around... Or you could candle/float test to check and see if the chick is alive...

Now would be a good time to take them out if you have no more pips... Or you could wait for more to hatch.. They do not NEED food for 72 hours... But most offer it on day 1

3. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    Quote:I had one just hatch about 30 or 40 mins ago so i want her to be dry...but wondering if i should take out the dry one's well i have a chance. also if i take out dry chicks will it hurt my humidity?

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It can... Yes... But if you have one chick drying off in there, the humidity from it drying should balance it all out... Just be quick if you decide to go with taking them out..

5. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    Being new at this..how do i tell if they are dry enough to come out?? will they be all fluffy like you can buy at the store?? Cuz none of mine look like that. The ones that hatched 1st look dry but thier fluff looks stuck down by goop.

6. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Congrats on your hatch [​IMG]
    I normally go to the end of day 22 and then candle the no-shows and look for movement and internally pipped chicks.
    Carolyn

7. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Quote:Yes, they should be fluffy and totally dry [​IMG]

It can take awhile for them to get totally dry, but don't get in a hurry.
    They can go 72 hours with-out food or water. They will be living off of

their ubsorbed yolk. Congrats on your babies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by