A few questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CuriousQuail, Sep 22, 2012.

1. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    1. Is it legal in Los Angeles (I live in east la)? I know tons of neighbors with chickens and roosters. The neighbor across the street pratically has a zoo in their back yard. BUT I do have a neighbor on the same property (behind me) who would love to report me for anything he can (longgg story). So I want to make sure I'm all good and legal when he comes banging at my door with threats of reports. And free eggs will not entice him. He's the sort take it and still rat on you.

Quick googles turn up almost nothing other than noise and cleanliness, but maybe I'm searching with the wrong terms.

2. 1 male to 3-7 females? I've read different reports on a proper mixture of male to female. I think I'll aim for 1 to 5, BUT if I do get 2 males and 5-7 females would there be an issue of keeping them in the same coop? I see tons of pictures where people have like 30-40 6 week old quails in the same coop. Can I assume that it's fine to do the same for about 6-12 quails in a 2x6 area?

3. Insulation in the coop? Before I start building I want to know how thick the panels should be/or what I should add if needed? I know los angeles doesn't get freezing temps and the lowest I've seen here is maybe 48 F and high of 112 F, but I just want to make sure I don't need to add extra insulation or something to protect them on hot days inside the coop.

A little more info on me I'm renting a house from a friend of the family and there's two houses on the property. My front yard isn't very large but I've made a 10x10 garden and now I can work in a 2-3 ft x 6 ft coop for quails after hammering out the details :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    LOL I just ended up searching chickens in place of quails and found something on it. Basically I can keep quails without license as long as it's not for commercial use. I'd also just to maintain cleanliness and obviously noise levels. SO number 1 I answered with more research but with a different bird.

But advice on other questions appreciated :)

3. Quailraiser22

Quailraiser22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    North east oklahoma
    Yes it should be legal to own quail in los angeles, other restrictions may apply to this. Im new to Coturnix quail myself and i would only recommend having 1 male in every pen but if it is big enough you could run another male in. Coturnix quail are pretty safe from weather as long as they have protection from draft they should be fine. they also benefit from a dust bath just pour some dry dirt or sand into a container to let them bathe in it helps a lot

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by