A few questions.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GSPx2, Aug 12, 2013.

1. GSPx2

GSPx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I'm as new as new can get to having chickens. With that said, I finished my coop and run over the weekend and I went to a local farm and bought 2 RIR hens. The hens took to the run great and went right to foraging on the grass that was in it. They had about 5 hours of sun light left to get familiar with the coop and run.

I would say about an hour before dark they started to walk on the ladder to get in the coop but were hesitant to go in. So I let them be for the last 30 minutes or so of light to explore a little bit more without worrying about why this strange new person keeps watching us.

It's now dark and I go outside to see where they ended up and one ended up in the coop while the other stayed the night on the ladder. Unfortunately for the hen that stayed outside, it rained and she remained outside the coop.

Is there something I should do to entice her into the coop or will she figure it out?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    She'll have it figured out tonight. You could of picked her up and put her on a roost in the coop. Once they go to bed, they are easy to catch and handle.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. GSPx2

Aug 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Ok thanks. I thought she would figure it out but i wanted to make sure it wasn't something to worry about.

I'm just going to fire out all my questions here.

1. Should the whole coop have bedding or does the nesting box need bedding only?

2. Should food be inside or outside the coop?

3. Should I put something on the floor of the run for easy clean up?

4. I bought a bag of Layena SunFresh Recipe crumbles. Is this a good choice and will I still need to buy oster shell?

5. Do I feed them X amount of times or just keep the feed bowl full?

Sorry for all the new guy questions, I just want to make sure I'm setting myself up for success. I can't tell you the last time I was this excited about something. And I know I'll have more questions to come! Thank you in advance for your time and patients.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Bedding the entire coop is a personal choice. I like it in the winter to add a layer of insulation from the ground but in the summer it gets too dusty and the chickens like the cool ground when it's 90 outside. I don't think it makes cleaning easier or harder.

If you have song birds that steal food, than keep it inside. If it's going to get wet in the rain, keep it inside. If you have mice, keep it outside. Again no hard rules. I keep feed inside because of the rain and magpies but all treats are out in the run.

The run will clean up quickly with a big rake. You want the dirt for them to scratch and bathe in. Any bedding you put out in the run will blow away or get moldy from the rain.

Layena is fine as a complete feed. You don't need to supplement with oystershells as long as your eggs are well formed and hard. Save the $$ and feed them back their shells as a treat. It will provide some grit action and additional Ca. One 50# bag will last you 2-3 months so keep it dry and rodent free. Give them free choice feed. As you start feeding kitchen and garden scraps, the amount of feed they will eat will drop. Keep the treats to about 1 C each so they don't fill up on them.

2 hens is not a good #. I would add 1 or 2. If something happens to 1, than you are left with only 1 and they don't do well by themselves. At some times of the year, it's hard to find a good pullet or hen so add now while you can.

5. GSPx2

Aug 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    Ok thank you for the info it is much appreciated.

As for the number of chickens I have. I didn't want to take on too much at first. Also, the farm only had RIR and I really wanted Buff Orpingtons. The lady told me that they will have some Buffs by the end of next month. So I'll pick up 1 or 2 then as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by