A few rabbit questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by stone_family3, Sep 25, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    At about what age do they usually venture outside of the nest
    What is the earliest you can sex a rabbit?

2. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

I have NZ's, outside the nest about 2 1/2- 3 weeks, sexing easy at 10 weeks, 6 if your careful. Small breeds I don't know.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome thanks! I have a mini lop and the babies are mini lop mixes.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yeah wait to sex them. I made so many mistakes when I sexed them too early. Mine started out of the nest at about 2 weeks.

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I can sex FOR SURE by 6-7 weeks. Really hard before that. I had a good guess by about 4 weeks on the bigger boys, but i have a litter currently at 6 weeks old and I am only sure on 4 of the 5.

If you are learning how to sex, wait til 8 weeks.

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I am learning and hopefully this will be my only time as these were a huge surprise. I considered contacting a mini lop breeder and seeing if they would sex them for me.

7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Once at 8 weeks its not too hard. You just have to flip them onto their back, and use your hand...use one finger to push the tail area down and your other finger to push above the genitals and forward. You are basically doing that to pop the parts out from inside so you can see them. Girls are a slit and boys are a little tube with round hole at end. Its pretty obvious by 8 weeks but harder before that. Check the adults first so you get a really exaggerated idea of what to look for and how to do it. Be gentle as you can hurt them if you do it too rough (or too young).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by