A few random questions.

ACM22

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Question 1: Should I leave one egg in the nest box everyday so the chickens will be encouraged to lay there untill they get used to it?
Question 2: If I should, then where should I get a wooden egg or something so I can collect all the regular eggs and know that one won't get old in the box?
Question 3: Can you have two different hatch dates in one incubator or will it make the eggs go bad?
Question 4: Is there anything I can do to make my young chickens want to lay?(A few have started but the others havn't. We feed egg laying pellets and have added a lot of nesting boxes.)

Thank you so much for any answers!

Q#1= I use golf balls seem to woork for me
Q3=?? It can be done but probably need more experience in hatching just one hatch date at a time for beginners
Q4= Wait and be patient
Of course this is my opinion and I've only been at this hobby for 18 months:lol:
Ayda

Ok thank you so much! I was thinking golf balls too but thought I'd ask first
smile.png
And ya I have hatched many times before but wasn't sure about the different dates.

1/2) Using a golf ball, ping pong ball or wooden egg is a good idea to help guide the girls when they start laying. Once a few are laying, though, the others will figure it out from them. No need to let eggs sit in the coop, as that can lead to some bad habits.

4) Patience, especially at this time of year when days are very short and it is very cold outside. Higher protein in the feed may help. Multiple nesting boxes, while sounding logical, won't necessarily help. All 7 of my hens laid in the same box despite as many options as they could imagine.

Question 1: I wouldn't, only because you're running a higher risk of ending up with broken eggs.
Question 2: Golf balls or wooden eggs. We use wooden eggs and got them on Amazon for a few bucks.
Question 3: I don't know anything about hatching eggs, sorry.
Question 4: No. You can only be patient. They will want to lay when their bodies are ready to lay.

Back
Top Bottom