A few tips to give my chickens that special gleam to catch judges eye?

Ilovemyrooster

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
So...some of my hens are entering a 4-H show in two weeks. Three of them(RIR's and BR) are going in Layer/production category and I have two-my delaware and my buff orpington-that are going in exhibition. Besides the basics of them being clean and parasite free, what can I do to make everyone look their best?

Trim toenails and beak. Oil comb, wattles & beak. Feed and water well thh night before, but not the day of the show until after judging (in hot weather you may need to give water).

Add glycerin to rinse water (better yet, use parrot shampoo that doesn't strip oils) and spray with Pink (not silkie feathers, though).

$20 taped under the wing...
wink.png

Boiled eggs in a food processor mixed w/lettuce, carrots, old veggies brocolli stumps. My birds have some gleam to their feathers since I started doing this a couple of times a week. Learned it on this website. It's great for them.
big_smile.png

How do you keep them from pooping themselves if they are a tight feathered breed and how do you clean "just the rear-end?"
smile.png

anyone:)

Whole grains tend to firm up poop as does adding apple cider vinegar to their water. Firm poop is less likely to stick. So, add some cooked rice and/or oatmeal or wheat to their feed. You may want to replace all their regular feed with grains for a day or two.

Hard feathered breeds are easier to clean than soft feathered ones. If you're at a show have baby wipes or a wash cloth and soapy water available to clean bottoms or a feather here or there. If youre still at home hold his bottom under the running faucet and use shampoo.

Back
Top Bottom