A few to take a crack at - pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hoping4better, Jan 15, 2011.

1. hoping4better

hoping4better Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I've posted a few of these little ones before, but they were much littler then. Now they're about 10 weeks and have much more variety. Please take a crack at what these are. Larger pics are available if you would like me to upload a link.

I'm guessing the striped ones are barred rock, but the barred rock pics I've seen have a much more distinct "bar", but these don't seem to be cuckoo marans as they don't have the gray/pinkish legs. Also, oddly it looks like I've got two different kinds of stripey roosters. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The "barred" roosDon't know why I've got two 'varieties'. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    --This is a bunch of them, but the lighter colored ones in the middle/top right are roosters. (I've only got two light colored ones that are roosters)
    [​IMG]

This black one confuses me. It looks much like the sex-links, but it's legs are darker and less yellow. It looks like maybe only one or two feathers have the golden outline, but other than that it's all black. Also, unlike the others the feathers don't have a very slight greenish sheen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one started looking like my little yellow ones as a chick, but quickly started darkening. Now as you can tell he looks nothing like them with a much darker feathering and a green sheen to his tail feathers. No idea what he is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm guessing this one is a buff orpington - am I right?
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance and have fun!!!

2. hoping4better

hoping4better Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I forgot to mention. I have a runt little "barred" chicken that has feathers running all the way down the outside of it's legs to it's toes. Not sure if that helps with the "barred" guesses.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Barred Rock x something else pullet
    Barred Rock x something else pullet
    Barred Rock x something elsepullet
    Barred Rock x something else cockerel

The group photo shows some normal Barred Rocks, a rooster in the middle back to the right. The other birds there are Black Sex Links (black girls with brown chest) Buff Orpingtons (yellow ones) and a Production Red cross cockerel. (red one)

The black ones are Australorps and are all pullets.

The reddish orange one is a Production Red cross cockerel. (likely has Buff Orpington or Sussex in him with those legs)

The last one is indeed a Buff Orpington pullet.

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The Black ones are Jersey Giants. The Green tint in their legs are caused by their yellow skin, which Australorps (white skin) lack

Actually, I'm gonna need closer pictures of the Black one's beaks and the bottoms of their feet...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    One of your barred roosters is a Black Sex-link, that is why he does not match the color pattern of barred rocks.

6. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    I'm thinking the Barred roo is a black sex link rooster. The barred pullets could be poor quality hatchery barred rocks. They can be very friendly and great layers but don't expect any ribbons [​IMG].... maybe the friendliest chicken award.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:Yep. Note the few gold feathers in his hackle and wing? He will likely develop more of those. I love barred roosters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by