A Field Trip Visited Our Chickens...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PrairieChickens, Feb 18, 2014.

1. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    My dad and I help with a local after school program, and he decided it would be neat to bring his "Garden Critters" class out to visit our flock of chickens. This is the result.

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    that was awesome !! hope you and your father can do this every year. kudos to you both

3. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Our boss actually wants to do an entire class next session where the kids come out to visit the chickens every day. We're talking about incubating eggs so the kids can watch them hatch, too.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    How great! The chickens were so good with the kids especially Pipsqueak. Of course it looks like the kids had a fun time. I like the way the video was edited, too.

5. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I was really pleased with how well our chickens handled the sudden appearance of fifteen tiny humans. A couple of them just ate up the attention--in many cases literally! Pipsqueak and Winnie especially seemed to enjoy being held by the kids. They even got to cuddle Star, the half-blind rooster, but I wasn't able to get video of that.

Moviemaker made the editing process a lot easier. I couldn't have done a video without it.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What a fabulous video! [​IMG] Those kids had the most wonderful time! Like was said above, Kudos to you and your dad! Its amazing how many children don't even know what a chicken looks like. All children should go to a place like yours! Thank you for your kindness and education for all those kids! [​IMG]

7. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I'm really excited about having a chicken class next session. I've already offered to lend my incubator to the cause so the kids can watch eggs develop and hatch, and my boss has said she'll purchase an ovascope for the class. :D

8. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    How great! The kiddies really look like they're enjoying the chickens. I'm sure the chickens loved the kiddies giving the pecans! [​IMG]

9. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    So Cool! Thanks for Sharing!

10. mookie76

mookie76 New Egg

Mar 14, 2014
    Fantastic! I'm expecting my first group next week. It's an easy walk to the school. My kids' first question was whether or not our eggs have chicks inside the egg. I've explained the whole semen cloaca thing to my own kids but to other kids i was just going to say we don't Make bAby chicks at our house because we dont have a rooster. Given these are not my kids how would you approach it if asked?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by