A first for me: 8 day embryo "stuck" in one place?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by texaschickmom, Jan 27, 2013.

1. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    I've candled many eggs and this is a first for me. Just wondering what I am seeing and then what should I do?
    I can see the embryo clearly and it's little heart is just fluttering away, which is great, right? Here's the bad part: it's always in the same place. It's not "floating" around like all the other embryos. Even when I gently "twirl" the egg a little, it doesn't budge. So I'm thinking it "attached" to the inside of the shell somehow. What are the odds that this chick will make it to term and hatch successfully? I need some experience badly!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have you been turning the eggs? How often?

3. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Oh yes, they're in an auto turner in my Hovabator. Everyone else looks fine and I've never had this happen before. Hope someone can give me some ideas about whether to let it continue on or should I "pull the plug" on this one. [​IMG]

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    This is normal, its only day eight... sometimes they dont dance all around. As long as its still alive your ok,
    all of my notes are in articles in my signature below.... have a read and check out how the embryo developes, so cool!!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    they look like this dont they, you may see a better "eye ball" than on day 7
    [​IMG]

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    look how it grows
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Thanks so much for your help, Sally! First of all, the egg is porous, so that's a bother. I see a dark mass and veining and a little beating heart. It's pretty cool, actually. If I had 2 more hands, I'd take a video. I'm just concerned that it right up on the inside of the shell. I candled yesterday and today and I can tell that the embryo has grown in just that amount of time. And that little heart is just going to town. I guess I'll just see how this goes. Hopefully it will continue to grow and hatch successfully. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks, again!
    Martha

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Your Welcome! What breed you hatching? I would love to know how it goes!

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I knew Sally would be able to tell, she's the pro here [​IMG] I hope your little one's going to be O.K. Keep us posted!

10. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    I've got a RIR rooster over RIR and BR hens,BA roo over 3 BA hens, and a Dom roo with 7 Dom hens. I will definitely keep you posted on my progress. I did pull 6 out after candling yesterday. 4 clears and 2 early deaths. I've actually got 2 HB Genesis going right now. The other has same breeds but they're only on day 3. Hopefully I'll be overrun with chicks in a few weeks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by