1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a first for me

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flappinhappy, Sep 9, 2012.

1. flappinhappy

flappinhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Palmetto, Fl.
    this chick hatched with this odd feathering and is completely dry...no fluff...?? anyone know what causes this and if it will be a normal feathered chicken ? It has a bit of a washboard texture.

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Could it be frizzled?

1 person likes this.
  3. flappinhappy

Oct 17, 2011
    Palmetto, Fl.
    WOW I didn't think of that..the roo is a Blue Andalusian and the hen is either a Silver Laced Wyandotte or a Black Sex-link I

funny because I bought 3 feather footed bantams at the feed store from a mixed bantam asst and ended up with a frizzle..

I am guessing a Cochin on this one
    [​IMG]

but have no idea on this one
    [​IMG]

4. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't believe frizzle feathering shows up on baby fluff, only on the actual feathers...could be it still has some egg goo left on it. Try washing it gently in warm water and see if it dries any differently.

1 person likes this.
  5. flappinhappy

Oct 17, 2011
    Palmetto, Fl.
    TY Panth will sure try that :)

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2 had it happen a few times

7. haweshome

haweshome New Egg

Jun 22, 2009
    Hi,
    Probably by now you have your answer but will put in my bit anyway. This looks like what is known as "clubbed down." It is the result of the presence of the gene for extended black color. It can appear in any breed. People who produce commercial Sex-Links see it in the females but not in the males. The barring gene in the males has a sparing effect on the production of black pigment and so they are normal. The ensuing plumage from these abnormal chicks should be normal. There is really not much you can do to prevent the condition. Cheers, rohawes

8. flappinhappy

Oct 17, 2011
    Palmetto, Fl.
    Thank you all for your answers they were helpful and I will certainly remember your comments...unfortunately this chick didn't make it :(...it could be it was more than the odd feathering that was wrong . nature knows and I have to respect that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by