A Flight of Two Chickens: Not a Hoax

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Jan 21, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Check out the following video clip. Shows chickens on the wing. They can do better as well. Good birds!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not surprised lately - My Araucanas can fly just as well. Before I found it out, I would have been quite shocked, but lately I find any American Gamefowl, (possibly European too?) and any wildtype breed like Araucanas to be superb fliers. [​IMG]

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am going to say these can can fly much farther than shown. We used to keep many American game strains and these guys when pressed could blow their doors when it comes speed and distance.

4. alpinefarm

alpinefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Very cool!

My Jaerhons are great "flyers," too. An essential quality in a wilderness-ranging chicken here!

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Next year going to setup for daily flights of 500+ feet, with more birds. Flights will be voluntary, no chasing by me or varments allowed.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:What is a Jaerhons?

7. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    They're like.... nuh uh I'm not touching that snow... [​IMG] [​IMG] What breeds are they?

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Snow is a factor here but I distance between roost and first resource need of day can also influence descision as whether route is walked or flown.

Breed: American Game
    Strain/Lineage: Wandel
    Color type: Not standardized but includes wildtype (hen as shown), ginger (rooster as shown) and brown-red. They appear to have a wee bit of Asian Game in them which was likely introduced about 30 years ago.

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    haha i love the chicken noises, that's hilarious! not exactly surprising, though, the chickens flying i mean... i've heard that some people have "chicken flying contests" ! i tried making some of my bantams fly to me until one almost got taken by a hawk [​IMG] . they weren't to bad either!

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Sadly, I am the origin of most of noises. They are similar to those made prior to take-off that can only be heard from close range. I imitated in hopes of promoting a quicker launch. It was cold during this effort.

The flying contests I am aware of were banned because of perception of stress on the birds. They were frightened into flying from an elevated location. Setup shown here birds have options to flight, take-off is on their time-table, and they are not frightened plus these are actually flying up a slight grade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by