A food Question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by belgie, Jul 12, 2011.

1. belgie

belgie Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    I have 4 wk old meat birds and was wondering when I switch them from their chick starter? Also when can I start giving them table scrapes, like lettuce and apples?

2. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

You may get more responses if you posted this under "Feeding & Watering Your Flock". [​IMG]

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey belge. Welcome to BYC! Check out this topic - it covers food. It's in the sticky in the header of this section of the forum but here's the link .

I have 13 birds and started them on a 20% protein chick starter. Once I was done with that bag, I actually moved them to a 22% game bird feed. It's not necessarily what others' do, but it's what I wanted for my particular meat birds.

Mine were also fed everything unmedicated.

I do believe it's fine to post your food question in this section as it's specific to meat birds. Many folks in the "Feeding and Watering Your Flock" section are quite nice, but aren't as versed in meat-production birds as opposed to egg-production birds, so you might find more help asking meat questions here.

This is a recent topic in the Meat Birds section that talks about when you can start giving your chicks table scraps and what kind.

I hope I helped! Please post if you have any other questions. I've learned a great deal from the people in this section and I'm hoping to help with what I know where I can! [​IMG]

4. belgie

belgie Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Thank you both, I did post this first in Feeding and watering you flock but had no responses so I thought I would try here.

Thanks again

5. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Our feed comes from a mill and I talked to the farmer, he informed me the only difference between his starter and boiler was that the started is medicated. Our meaties are started on the boiler mix from day one. I have 47 out of 50 ready for processing this coming Sunday. At about 4 weeks, the tractor door is left open and they have a 40' x 40' (160' length of electric fencing) area to wonder around in. It's funny when they come charging you for their afternoon scratch.

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I start my meat birds on broiler mix which is the same as chick starter but with higher protein and no medication. I only medicate my meat chickens if there is a reason because they are sick or have other issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by