1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Fort for My Chickies

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickengarden, Mar 29, 2012.

1. chickengarden

chickengarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    Don't laugh at me but I'm sharing this with you guys b/c apparently you're all as crazy about chickens as me! Has anyone else ever made a miniature hen house or a chicken fort or a jungle gym for their infant chickens?

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, you can laugh if you want to. I had SO much fun making it. :) It made me feel like a kid.

And, just to come totally clean. This is the third one I've made. The first was just a little A frame ladder system with sticks. The second was also a cardboard box on legs but it was waaaay too small. They never went inside but just sat on top. My husband made me laugh so hard after I showed him I had made them a model of their future hen house which was somewhat to scale. He said, "I guess it's only problem is the chickens aren't to scale."

So, come on, anyone else do anything like this?

2. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    I have made swings in the run for my girls.

1 person likes this.
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That's a great idea!!! I love it! Bet the chicks are thrilled!! [​IMG]

4. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I have never had the patience to make mock ups. In fact my 'finished products' look like over grown 'models'.

5. chickengarden

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    Have they ever used the swings? Got any pictures? I'll let you know when mine actually go in their "house". It seems to take them a day or two to get used to something new.

6. chickengarden

Mar 15, 2012
    Entiat, WA
    They went in it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Look like they love it! Good job and great idea! [​IMG]

8. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Great idea! If I had more room i would do something similar. For now the chicks will have to be happy with a couple of roosts and bricks to play on. They get plenty of time with the brooder cover off so they can practice jumping and flying around (and pooping everywhere).

9. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    ok, i am NOT showing this to my 1 week old chicks! they'll be packing their bags and hitting the road on a search for YOU as their owner! lol! seriously though, i LOVE it!

10. gingerpeach22

gingerpeach22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Fairbanks
    What a great idea. You did a wonderful job. Maybe I'll make one, too since they seem to enjoy it so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by