A Fox got in my HAY LOFT!! My little OE broody is gone :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dianneS, Oct 20, 2009.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I had a beautiful little spangled OEGB and she's always wanted a nesting spot of her own. She always got pushed around by the bigger birds and would get shoved away from food and off of nests. [​IMG]

Any time she would get a chance to get some privacy, like up in the hayloft, she would make herself a little nest. She finally laid a nest full of eggs and decided to hatch them! She's been broody for about a week. I figured she'd be really safe and sound in the hayloft since we had another banty hatch 10 chicks up there.

This morning I went out to feed, and there was a bunch of hay and dirt from the loft above in the center aisle between the horse stalls?? I knew something had to have been running around up in the loft to knock that much dirt down. I went up to check on my little girl. She was gone and her eggs were scattered about. [​IMG]

I went searching for her. I found her in the loft, eaten, all but her wings and legs. [​IMG] I know it was a fox. A racoon or skunk would have killed her and taken the eggs. This thing left the eggs and her food and killed and ate her. There was also dog sized poop in the loft too. I wish I wouldn't have left her up there, I should have moved her some place safer. [​IMG] I just never thought a fox would go up into the loft!?? [​IMG]

We have a guardian dog, but he doesn't have access to that part of the barn, so there was nothing he could have done. I can't believe that fox is so bold! [​IMG] My neighbor has seen him too and this fox is not afraid of anything! I know he's been in my hayloft before. I'm really upset about this and I want that fox gone!!

Why is it when I lose a chicken, its always one of the most special ones?? She was my little girl and she was finally going to get to be a mom. [​IMG]

Do you think her eggs are still viable for hatching? Could I put them in and incubator, or is it too late? Some are still jiggly when I shake them, she was setting for about a week before this happened.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Wouldn't hurt to pop them in the incubator. Candle them and keep an eye on them. You never know. [​IMG]

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Sorry about your girl. [​IMG] I'm with wolf-kim. Why not give it a try. [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm so sorry. i lost my favorite hen a couple months ago. She was a spangled OEGB, too. Her name was Spreckles and she was just the most special little girl. i looked forward to seeing her every day. She died from trying to lay an egg that was too big. Those little OEGBs are so sweet, aren't they? And it seems to be so true, that we lose the ones we love the best first.

Just try to keep her specialness and beauty in your mind and heart and she will always be with you. And i would give those eggs a chance. It would be sweet to hatch out some of her children. She would have wanted that.
    [​IMG]

5. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by