1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A fox got my rabbit this morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nieceharr, Mar 26, 2009.

1. nieceharr

nieceharr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    My DH got up for work at 4:30 this a.m. and saw that the outside motion-detector lights kept going on and off. He went out to investigate and saw that a fox had gotten into his outside pen (we left him out last night because it was warmer and he loves being in his outdoor pen). He actually saw the fox in his pen - but it was too late.

I am now concerned about my chickens. Their coop is pretty well secured with the hardware cloth 12" down all around. I like to let them out into my fenced-in yard (obviously not fox-proof) for a few hours before I go to work and then again when I come home.

Stupid question - do foxes come out during the day? Should I let them out this morning? Thanks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Foxes can attack any time of day. And if a fox can get in, so can other predators.

I've seen a fox take a chicken about 8:00 a.m. I've sen foxes from the car while I was driving in the middle of the day. You'd be taking a big risk with a fox around that knows where easy food is.

Have you considered fox trapping?

3. nieceharr

nieceharr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    That hadn't crossed our mind - we haven't seen a fox around here in a long time. Our biggest concerns were more like racoons and hawks.

I guess I can't let them out in the yard when we're not out there with them. They are not very happy with me right now - complaining very loudly that they want to come out of their coop.

I'm sure that we can get a hold of a haveaheart trap - what would you use for bait?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I really don't know. You could do a search in the predator section or post the specific question, maybe titled "What bait for foxes". Or you could call your county extension agent. They should be able to tell you the best way to trap them and what the laws are about disposing of them.

I don't know how you feel about disposing of foxes, but a friend of mine shot a fox when we were young and sold the pelt to a sporting store for tieing flies for fly fishing. He didn't get a lot by today's standards, but at 25 cents a gallon $10 was a lot of gas.

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Foxes are pretty smart and rarely get caught in a live trap. You'd need the biggest one and they can be pricey.

Trapping is a possibility, but look up your local game laws ... here in PA you can only trap foxes at certain times.

Generally, it is accepted that you can shoot predators when you find them harassing your livestock. (Except for protected species, such as owls & hawks.)

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've seen foxes out during the day. I have a large dog now that hates foxes and runs them off, so it's been a few years since I've seen one here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by