A fox is attacking my chickens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the pampered egg, Jul 18, 2010.

1. the pampered egg

the pampered egg New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    I need help in trying to keep a fox off my property. It attacked 5 hens, taking 3 of them. I heard that urine from men will help keep them away. I free range my chickens on my 16 acres. They usually stay right around the house and don't stray too far. The fox is hiding out in the tall grass near my coop. If I had a brush hog I would mow it down to keep the fox at bay. Is there anything that I can put out there that they don't like and make them stay away?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It doesn't have to be "man' urine, although it's easier to put out. [​IMG] I'm a firm believer in a Nite Guard. A red flashing light at night that looks like the reflection of a predators eye. I've been useing one over 2 years, & haven't lost a bird since. They work!!!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Now that the fox has located your flock, it is him or them. If you continue to free range them, he will catch all of them. You need to kill the fox or keep your chickens penned up. Sorry!

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    sorry but now that he has discovered your flock, i agree that you now need to do something with him or keep the birds penned up since he now knows where a free meal is... sorry [​IMG]

5. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    The only way to stop the fox is lead poisoning, it happens on my place wether they are after the birds or not. Big varmits make little varmits and I hates varmits!

6. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    you can find a have a heart trap you catch him and get rid of good luck

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

A fox is hard to catch in a live trap although I have done it once. That particular fox was slick and I never could a clean shot.

8. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    it is not that hard if you sterilize it before and make sure it doesnt have human odor on it

9. nc_mudder

nc_mudder New Egg

Jul 7, 2010
    I agree with the others, you either have to remove the fox or remove its easy access to its food source (your chickens). I don't believe you need to kill the fox though, you can trap them with a live trap, if you have a chicken it killed the night before you can bait the trap with that, or the blood from an animal (any animal) can be used as bait, or bee wax with honey can be used because foxes espically love the sweet taste of honey, if its trapped you may want to call animal control to take and release it or just do it youself, but remember foxes are rabies vector animals so be careful not to get nipped while moving it. Good luck!!

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I don't understand how everyone else catches red fox in live traps. I'm 69 years old and have been trapping since I was 11 or 12, and I have only ever caught 4 red fox in live traps. Three juveniles and one starving dog fox with a broken jaw. With legholds and snares I am quite successful. How many do others catch in live traps each year?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by