A fox is on the loose

RedemptionFarm

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2017
We have a fox problem. So far, she's eaten 6 and wounded one. We have set up a live trap, but I still feel like I'd like to do more. Anyone have any other ideas that have worked? We don't have a LGD, although I wish we did.

Your flock is now that fox's "all-you-can-eat" buffet --- do you free range the flock at all times? If so, do you have a run that could be used to confine the birds for a period? At this point you will need to secure the birds in a predator proof area until you are able to remove the fox and/or the fox moves on to better hunting grounds due to the birds being taken off the menu

Yes, we free range all the time and rarely have too much trouble. Last year we had some trouble with a momma raccoon and her babies, but we caught them pretty quickly. I know once a predator finds you, it's nothing but trouble. I think they are both great ideas. I can keep them in the coop today until I get some fencing up for them. Thanks, y'all!

It's funny though, because tomorrow our local farm store is getting in some breeds of chickens I want. I told my husband I was going to skip getting any more, since I though getting any more would be excessive. (I had 55 chickens total counting my meat chickens). Now I'm going to go ahead and get more, so at least that's always fun.

And last night, I caught one of my barn cats in the live trap.
1f644.png
1f61c.png
1f602.png

We free range but have always had secure runs. We get a lot of fox but never had major issues to date. Considered the bb gun before to scare them off but haven't had to yet. I wish ya luck and hope you can find a solid solution

Thanks. I considered putting some fencing up this morning before we left for church, but I read they have to be over 6 feet tall. I don't have that fencing here right now. How did you secure your runs?

We first used a 12x12x 8 chain link dog kennel but looked tacky so no we're using cattle panels and chicken wire at bottom 3' with stakes at corners. They cost around $12 for a 4.5x 8.' Used zip ties and they sell metal wire for cheap. Can easily be taken down, repurposed and easy to install in any pattern and size run.

Back
Top Bottom