A-frame coop plans/suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jeremy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'm planning on putting up a coop that is similiar to this in the next couple of months,

[​IMG]
    (ETA- image from http://heatherjustesen.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-make-a-frame-chicken-coop.html)

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with A-frame style coops? Do you have some input on where you installed your nesting boxes and roosts, and if it were any harder due to the triangular design?

Thanks!

2. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I took care of some chickens that lived on one of those. It was two weeks babysitting, and it wasn't much fun. No head room to walk in, no height to put roosts for the girls, everything on the floor because there's just no room above two feet. After about the third time bashing my head on the ceiling/doorway, I was saying some unkind things about the A-frame.[​IMG]

I guess it would be fine if you lived somewhere snowy, where you might be afraid the snow would collapse the roof. . . .

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    That doesn't sound too appealing, I liked the overall design of it. But if it isn't practical... [​IMG] I was trying to decide between this and a possible hoop coop.

4. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    I don't know... it looks tall enough to stand up in to me. Not like those little A-frame tractors. I think it looks good.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I'm not too worried about getting around inside, it would only be for cleaning, I plan on installing pop doors where the nesting boxes are going to be so that I can collect eggs from the outside.

The A-frame design to me is whimsical and cute. I think it could work- anybody else agree?

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I wish someone with A frame experience would pipe up...
    Construction material wise, that design looks like it'd save money. However, to me, it doesn't look like it would be space efficient per bird. Roosts should higher than the nests, so there'd be a lot more nest space than roost space, but you really NEED more roost space. I could see putting the nest boxes along that back wall on the ground, with the roosts directly above, but that gives little roost space. If you put a roost down the center somehow, then it blocks YOU getting in to clean, etc. It just looks awkward to finagle...

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been thinking about an a-frame too, simply because its something I think I could build with little or no help. The people next door have a real small one, very simple and I never did look to see how she collects the eggs, but it works out real well for her. . .how big is this going to be? I would like one big enough to house at least 25 chickens. So, since I am just over 5', I could fit in it pretty good, but also plan on having a drop door to get to the eggs and clean out the nests from the outside. Is it possible to have one side that could drop down for cleaning it out I wonder? I think the design is cute, always did like the looks of an A-frame! Good luck with yours!!!!

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I've seen a design similar where the nest boxes are placed down the middle, back to back through the coop and roosts are above everything, pushed to the back. It does seem like it would be a little cramped for the birds to roost that way, that's why I was hoping somebody else might have a better idea as where to place them.

9. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    [​IMG] You could get more room if you build it on what they call a knee wall about 4' tall. [​IMG]

10. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:What does that mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by