1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A-frame design experience

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by meredithfp, Apr 9, 2016.

1. meredithfp

meredithfp Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    So I think I've decided on a design.

http://www.re-store.org/images/stories/pdfs/diy-restore-coop_detail.pdf

Does anyone have experience with this design? Or is there a similar example out there somewhere? My goal is to build the A's today and get as far as the flooring tomorrow. I'm brand new to building -- zero carpentry skills -- so it'll be an adventure!

I'd love to know what people think of this design. Is there anything you'd change or add?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hi Meredith. The coop you are looking at is really small. How many chickens are you thinking of getting?

First thing I notice is the lack of ventilation in the coop. If you use this design, make sure the gables have big areas of hardware cloth at the peaks for airflow.

Chickens sleep on a roost, and I don't see a roost bar in that plan. They like to sleep elevated so their poop falls away from them at night.

The ramp is too steep. It would be better to make it longer and attach it the other direction. You'll need to add cleats or change it to a ladder instead. They need rungs fro their toes to grip or they can't climb.

Are you going to have the coop in a secure run or keep them below the coop?

3. meredithfp

meredithfp Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Thanks for the response. I'm only planning on having 3-4 chickens, so a small coop will be fine. I ended up combining the coop in the link above with another design I found online -- http://www.ana-white.com/2012/05/plans/frame-chicken-coop?page=2. I'm also making it a bit bigger than both models.

I've been hemming and hawing for so long, I'm glad I finally got around to diving in and building because now things are becoming more clear and I'm seeing how I can include roosts, ventilation, how to manage the ramp and little things like that. I was afraid to get started until I had every last detail figured out. Now I'm just trusting that I can figure it out as I go.

Hopefully I'll be done soon and I can post some photos here.

4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Totally agree with you there! If you never start, you'll never finish!

Oh. Remember to put a lip at the doorway and around the chicken opening to keep your litter from falling out.

Good luck and have fun!

5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Hmm. four months an not a peep.

I guess he "never started".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by