A-frame tractor/coops? Where can I see pics and plans?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dftkarin, Jul 6, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I have searched through pages and pages of posts on this board (and enjoyed every minute of it!) but I'm really wanted to see and study A-framed movable coops suitable for housing 5 heavy chickens in extreme winters (New England). Is there an old post or a site or any way to look at coops of that design? I like the idea of a run on the bottom and the coop along the top part - like those English $1000 - coops, of the Organic Gardening 'movable coop'.

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
  3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Here's a site that has TONS of pics of different kinds of tractors. You might at least get some ideas from this site.

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html

At one time I did a pretty exhaustive search for plans, but couldn't find any for free. There were a couple out there that you could pay for, but I'm too cheap.

Good luck.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My DH built me a tractor. It has been nothing but problems, although beautiful. It rains in because of the slants. So I put doors on it that open like wings. Then it rained thru the space from the hinges. So I put plastic over it. In the winter it was cold, so I threw a comforter over it and pinned it down. It had the nests up top, and they never used them. It had all day sun until I put the doors on and kept them open with 2x4's.
    If I had to do it all over again, I would have made something different. So think about it before you build.

5. bookchick

bookchick Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Orlando
    I have a locally-built version of a catawba coop. It was really inexpensive, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't do it.

It is heavy enough to last but only takes 2 people to move.
    For predator safety, I added a wire skirt and that hinders moving it as easily and I have to stake/unstake down the skirt at each move.
    We do allow the chickens to free range for a few hours daily. With only one door access to the bottom, the chickens charge the door to go out when I only want to change the feeder and waterer.
    I live in Florida and I find the upstairs area is probably unbearably hot for the chickens even in full shade. No ventilation. We had a special frame made with 1/2" hardware cloth to fit upstairs to cool it off a bit, but it is not predator safe.
    I have six 7 week old chickens in it now, but I really can't see more than 3-4 large breed chickens being happy in the 8 foot long tractor. I might have another coop built soon.
    My chickens eat every single blade of grass under the coop in 24-48 hours, so soon I won't have any grass left in my smallish backyard. I find free-ranging to be a better choice to keep damage limited to manageable amounts, which kinda negates the reason for a moveable ark/tractor.

I will definitely keep this tractor in case I ever need to separate my chickens for whatever reason, or if I ever have youngsters that need to be integrated with older hens. But, I don't see myself using this design indefinitely as my girls grow up.

Just my 2-cents!

6. channel12001

channel12001 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Here is a pic of mine that I built this year, it is kind of a tractor/permanent coop hybrid....let me know if it helps I could give you some hints...

[​IMG]

7. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    [​IMG]

After paint and with wire
    [​IMG]

The beginning of the new one
    [​IMG]

Almost done
    [​IMG]

That's my hubby who worked in the heat to get that one done so I could seperate my hens who were fighting and drawing blood.

8. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

I am happy with mine that I built here in New Hampshire. I havent gotten eggs yet but only another month or so and I should be eating fresh eggs for breakfast. The birds seem happy. Its a grump to move but a second set of wheels in the back will help if i get around to it. OR you could not make it 7 foot long and 5 feet tall. (see more pics of it on my profile page)

9. bookchick

bookchick Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Orlando
    Bellasmom & 12001: I love that extra side-access door! I will have to add one to mine to make my life easier!

Oh, and to update my earlier post, if you do gardening in beds, I think the tractor is a great idea because you can protect your girls as they till and eat the bugs without them getting into areas of the garden you don't want them in.

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    you can see ours on my BYC page . We built it way to heavy also need to come up with a better tire set up . Just somethings to think about good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by