1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A friend found a baby duck.... Anyone know what it is?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by baldie, May 19, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hello all! [​IMG] A friend of ours showed up yesterday to buy some eggs from us. He also brought a little friend with him. He found this little duckie on the side of the road. He said he walked up and down listening for a mommy and looking for a nest. It looks like a Wood duck to me. Any thoughts??
    Also, it looks to be only a day old. It still has the thing on the beak that is used to break out of the shell. It pooped a blueish green stuff. I have been trying to get it to eat it pecks around but I am not sure if it has actually eaten. I have baby ducks now that are a couple of weeks old. So I was prepared when he showed up. Is there something he would prefer to eat. I want this cute little duckie to make it.
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]
    Chrissie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Looks like a mallard but could be a rouen.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Looks like a little Woodie!

4. Redsquirrel

Redsquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Burnsville, Minnesota
    Looks like a mallard duck-lots around our area. Must of gotten away from mama. Lucky u found it before a dog did.

5. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    You probably know this...but are you keeping the new baby separate from all your other birds...

6. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:Yes, I have it in the house in my tank brooder for now. [​IMG]

7. JenEric Farms

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    I would make sure to wash up good before handling any other birds. This little guy probably got separated from his mom, but I have heard that moms can sometimes tell if a baby is sick and leave them behind. I had a friend that had ducks and one of her momma ducks actually drowned one of the little ones that was sickly... [​IMG] Icky story but i wouldn't want your kindness to cost you later.

8. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Quote:Thanks for the advice. [​IMG] I have thought of that already. I have been around birds long enough to know. Kinda like when a broody tossed an egg out of the nest. Somehow they know. If it is a wood duck then they nest in trees which would explain why he did not see a mom or a nest. And could be a good reason why it got seperated. It seems healthy, but you never know. [​IMG]

9. JenEric Farms

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    He's very cute! Hope all goes well!

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I believe it is a Wood duck. See the line that runs across the eye? Well, if I remember correctly, mallards the line continues to the bill; but Wood ducks, the line stops at the eye.

Good luck, I've heard these guys are tough to raise from the wild!

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by