A friend gave me 2 Turkeys today...breed question

PlumTuckered

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Arkansas
A friend brought me two Turkeys and he had no idea of the breed. These are my first Turkeys so I have no idea either..any thoughts?
I took these photos of them today:
2832_quinnstrutting.jpg

2832_turkeyhenmar122011.jpg

Michelle

They were brought to us after dark last night. Our friend had them in with his Chickens and other, older Turkeys. The Tom had never strutted at our friend's house and he's missing half of his tail feathers, I let them out of the travel crate this morning and they were quite timid but within an hour they were calm and he started struttin' his stuff...I just love watching him. He's very calm with my husband and I, she's a little more stand offish though.

Michelle

I've had my Tom for around 3 weeks and I'm still waiting to see his spread!! He had the prettiest spread when he was a this former home,... I caught him trying to break one of my chickens neck the other day, so I bet he will be spreading his tail any day now,...LOL.
I have to take him down from the chicken perch each morning as he can not get down on his own,..I'm thinking he will soon get used to me. I have a lot going on here, so it is a bit much to acclimate to.
I like watching mine too. All I have to do is yell TURKEY, and the silly thing starts running. He's likes bread I found out. He also has decided that the sound of coyotes means it's time to gobble.

Nice little pair of standard bronze. He was not strutting at the other house because the older, stronger toms were beating the heck out of him. He is just a jake so this is his first spring. He should be happy without the others around. Be sure to hatch a bunch of eggs and raise some for thanksgiving and christmas because you will never buy a turkey at the store again once you taste the difference. Just be sure that the ones you raise to eat are in a pen somewhere that you don't spend as much time around them and getting to know them because turkeys have a great personallity. Being a heritage breed, they take about 8-9 months to get to good slaughter size.

My husband said he's a Jake and I've been calling him a Tom..oops LOL So much to learn.

I've named him Quinn, he hasn't gobbled yet for us, our friend said he heard him gobble one time a couple of days ago. I sat out there with them for about 3 hours today taking photos...came in to upload them to my laptop and I had taken 362 photos just of Quinn...I'm hopeless LOL

This guy is so mellow, we can walk right up to him. I took out a piece of my homemade bread this morning and broke it up and tossed it at my feet, he came right over and ate it. She won't come closer than 5 feet and she's weary when I walk towards her. I just carried a plastic half barrel out there and put hay in it for her to nest in and couldn't resist touching him because he was on the roost by my arm...I guess I startled him since it was dark in there ( I use a blue bulb light on my hat to see in there at night) and he gave a little hiss but he didn't move.

I'm going to keep this pair as pets and for breeding but I'm hoping to have our own fresh home grown Turkey for Thanksgiving next year :)

You will have home grown turkeys for thanksgiving this year! April hatch is perfect for thanksgiving and also keep one for christmas! Just be sure to butcher 3-5 days before you cook it. They need to be in the fridge for that many days or it will be tuff.

Back
Top Bottom