A friend's bird has me stumped..Vitamin Deficiency, Marek's, EYP?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesnFrizzle, Aug 8, 2014.

1. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    A friend of mine was given a 2 year old Silkie hen with unknown illness because she had the time to care for the bird. History: The bird began looking weakened and unstable about two weeks ago. She was given Sulfadiomothoxine for 5 days and with no improvements on strength, the bird was given Baytril for 7 days. in the last week the bird has become so weak she cannot stand, and she has to be tube fed. She called me to come look at the bird yesterday and this is what I observed: Both legs are weakened so that they cannot support her weight, she looks also like she has mild wry neck. When I picked up the bird, her abdomen seemed large for a bird that cannot feed itself. It was slightly squishy and hot, she leaked a clear mucous out of her vent when I picked her up. She told me that she only seems to poop when she is picked up, almost like she needs help pooping and she said it seemed as if the bird was in pain when pooping. She has been eating Exact parrot feed exclusivity for about 6 days. The bird doesn't have mites, or signs of cocci. I was thinking a possible deficiency because the bird does not receive very little/ if none at all, sunlight. So Vitamin D deficiency? But the legs could mean Marek's? Or the abdomen could be EYP? I am stumped.

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I'd certainly give her some calcium..due to lack of sunlight...maybe some vitamin B too

Has she been de-wormed recently ?

She may have sour crop...smell her breath..if it smells bad she may have this.

EYP or maybe a tumour if she is having difficulty and pain in pooping...

So many possibilities as to why she is like this

A few suggestions for you and your friend to consider

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  4. cehannan

cehannan New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Hi, I have been following BYC for a few years, but this is the first time I've posted.

Your thread was very familiar to me as I had the same thing happen to one of my 2 yo bantams a year ago. Her first symptom was a wobbly walk that made me think she was egg bound. I soaked and treated her accordingly but it soon became apparent that she wasn't egg bound. Like your silkie her abdomen was warm and swollen and leaked. I used a cotton swab with vaseline to probe inside her vent and she immediately released about a half cup of rotten stool and she seemed to feel a lot better and ate some cereal and several crickets.

I thought the problem was solved but it wasn't. Her legs seemed paralyzed at this point. The next day same story - had to assist her movement each morning and evening to keep her from getting toxic. She would eat okay, especially proteins, and I kept her hydrated with blue berries and sub-q fluid replacement but she would still back up. Over a month I kept trying to find an answer, but there didn't seem to be anything in the literature. Even with this care she started losing weight. Eventually I felt it was time to put her down.

I needed to know what was wrong, so I opened her up afterwards and this is what I found. Not surprisingly there was a total lack of fat and all of her abdominal organs seemed normal. No egg or broken shell. However she had three pea sized nodules blocking her intestines. One just after the pancreas and two at the junctions to the cecums. The nodules were not extremely hard and seemed to be calcium. I split the largest of the three in half. It was made up of concentric dark and light circles of some substance which seemed to indicate that this process had been going on for a period of time.

How these nodules formed is something I don't know, unless this was some sort of gout. It did give me some peace of mind however to know that whatever went wrong, it was likely not contagious and I have not had it happen since.

If this isn't what's going on with your silkie, maybe this post might still help someone who might be going through this with theirs. Or someone might have some insight as to what causes this.

5. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    :welcome thank you for your insight , you obviously have an enquiring mind. In our never ending quest for eggs many of us feed incorrect levels of protein and calcium. Gout is a silent killer and unfortunately all too common in mixed flocks where youngsters and roos alike are fed the same ration of calcium as the layers.
    All we can do is keep plugging away and do our best to raise healthy poultry. Hopefully learning from our own mistakes and that of others.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The pea sized nodules could have been granulomas, which are clumps of macrophages that surround any irritating thing such as bacteria or even a granule of calcium. It's kind of amazing that you spotted those.

7. cehannan

cehannan New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks. I didn't know about these. Always good to learn new things as knowledge is the best tool to access when things go wrong. Looks like I'll be doing some research on granulomas this week. [​IMG]

8. cehannan

cehannan New Egg

Apr 8, 2012
    Thank you Fancychooklady. I so agree. I hope SilkiesnFrizzle was able to find an answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by