A friendship story (SAD)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Miss Henny, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Miss Henny

Miss Henny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    One day my parents decided to buy some chooks, so we went to a farm a bought three young and beautiful red star hens. It was summer so it was pretty hot, one of the hen died after two days because of the heat... so there's only 2 hens left, i named them Henny and Nugget.

Ever since then they've been following each other all the time and have created a very strong bond between them two. But one day Nugget got this disease, she got very sick and couldn't eat. Even though Nugget is sick Henny still follow Nugget, when Nugget just sits there Henny sat with her.

One day i came back from school and went to my backyard to check on them, i looked everywhere for them and i couldn't find them. Then i looked in the shed, tears filled my eyes. Nugget laid next to a box, motionless. Henny sat next to Nugget, she looked at me she was making this depressing sound. i ran back to my house crying.

Later that day i was still crying, i told my dad to bury Nugget. After Nugget was buried i tried to put Henny with Fluff (i bought him before nugget died) a small silkie roo. But Henny wouldnt get along with Fluff, she pecked him on the comb and chased him. She was walking around the backyard to (maybe) find Nugget while making that noise, she even flew on the shed to find her. :( ( i had to climb up to get her down)

The next day Henny was following fluff, but she was still making that sound...even though Nugget is gone i'm sure Henny still have nugget in her heart :'(
    That was 2 years ago.

that shows chickens have emotional feelings just like us.

[​IMG]i cried so much when nugget died

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. onedoodle3

onedoodle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Miss Henny, I'm so sorry. Even as old as I am, I cry when one of my flock passes. I can not tell you the number of times non-chicken people have told me chickens are stupid and useless. But they aren't. They have personalities and feeling just like us. I hope she eventually becomes friends with your Silkie roo. [​IMG]

3. Miss Henny

Dec 18, 2013
    I know :(
    and yes she did become friends with fluff in 2 days! they sleep together all the time

4. onedoodle3

Awwwww! That's great! Do you have any plans to add to your flock? Oh, and I just noticed you're new to BYC, sooooooooo [​IMG] Welcome to the coop!!! [​IMG]

I have 12 in my flock. I have 1 Buff Orpington Rooster (Nosy), 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte Rooster (Romeo), 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen (Stella) , 3 Production Reds (Momma, Henny Penny, Pretty Girl), 2 Red Sexlinks (haven't named them yet..waiting on their personalities to come out), 2 Cochin Bantams (Fancy Feet and Fluffy Feet), 1 Bantam hen that I have no idea what kind she is (Roadrunner), and 1 Silkie Hen (Snowflake). They keep me entertained. Snowflake follows me around like a puppy.

I'm so glad your Henny is doing better! [​IMG]

5. Miss Henny

Dec 18, 2013
    OMG! i have a bantam hen that my friend foudn on the road! what a coincident, her name is Pippy!! of of her eye is blind..

a grey bantam (no idea wht breed) --> Pippy is the smallest but she is DE BOSS! i guess living on the road and getting her eye blinded made her pretty tough, she pecks the other chooks but doesnt peck henny ^^

3 redstars:

Henny, a browner redstar ( de second boss, ma oldest hen), but shes the smallest out of the redstars

Star the big girl, even tho she's the biggest and strongest she's in the bottom of the peckin; order AHAH!, she's too scared to peck the other hens ( she pecked my 2 little quails once tho)

Rose: i bought her with star, she thrid in the pecking order she is pretty small too like henny. ps. she snores hehe

and the littlest in the coop: FLUFF! a little white silkie roo!! he sometimes gets pecked by the other hens but he got HENNY! hehe, henny is like his mum

6. onedoodle3

I don't think I have ever heard a chicken snore! [​IMG] I bet it's funny sounding! I have heard mine sneeze and cough but that's it. Stella doesn't interact with the other hens too much. I think the guy I got her from abused her. It took her a long time to just come to me when I called her. But now she comes running. My bantam roosters are hilarious! They strut around like they are the biggest birds in the pen. But when I pick them up, they lay their heads against me and make purring noises. [​IMG]

If you can, post pictures of your birds sometime. I'd love to see them! I need to take some pictures of my flock. It's been a while since I took any.

Well, I'm heading to bed. You have a great night!!

7. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Awww...chickens can be so sweet...I'm sorry that you lost nugget...
    The heat is hard on birds...I give mine chilled watermelon and ice cubes in the summer heat.

8. Miss Henny

Dec 18, 2013
    They eat ice cubes??? wouldnt it be too big [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by