A Frizzle, A Japanese, a Silkie, and a Cornish (walk into a bar?)...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Allsardane, May 18, 2011.

1. Allsardane

Allsardane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Hey Gender Detectives,

I ordered from McMurray and lost 30% due to no postal workers on Sunday and a very cold day, but the survivors have been loving all of the pampering and accommodations that have been rained upon them. I swear they eat better than I do (don't tell my wife)...

Anyway. They are starting to get up in weeks and I am beginning to wonder if gender can be determined yet. I'm pretty sure the Silkie is a no, but the other three? Maybe? I've been able to guess the gender of the other 14 birds in my flock, but these are currently my unknowns. On an unrelated note, my only confirmed Rooster, a Jersey Giant, has just about the worst case of Failure to Feather that I have seen. His sister has such a luscious coat of feathers but he's spent the majority of his life wearing his down feathers and getting frustrated when he tries to boss the women around and they simply jump up on the roost and ignore him...flapping both feathers on each wing is just a sight..

But I digress. Assuming I can post pictures, I present to you my confusions- I'm not sure how the quality of the pictures came out as it was a little cloudy today, but if they are horrible then I will try again later.

[​IMG]
    This is Stewie; The smallest chick that survived the freezing temperatures and spent a LOT of time yelling at us. Has calmed down quite a bit on account of almost all the other chickens being two to 6 times bigger them Stewie now. Stewie is a black tailed white Japanese.

[​IMG]
    This is Tank. Tank is a White Laced Red Cornish that believes it is Godzilla as it walks around stomping imaginary buildings and enjoys chasing and eating bugs more than anything else. As a pullet, Tank will enjoy a very happy life. As a rooster, Tank will have to get all Highlander with the featherless Jersey Giant as there can be only one. I hadn't noticed how blurry the head-shot was. Well, I'll see what you can determine from what I have.

[​IMG]
    My wife named this thing Ms. Frizzle. I named it "I'm not sure I'd even be willing to eat you if you turned out to be the most foul tempered rooster in New York". This is a bantam red frizzle cochin and I am not sure how anyone could mistake this thing for a chicken [​IMG]. The pictures turned out horrible so I'm sure I'll need to re-take them, but figured I would post what I have.

[​IMG]
    And here we have lint. Lint is a ghost of a chicken as it spends most of the time in the shadows, creating master-plans to eliminate the species of hairless monkeys who transformed it from a noble and majestic bird into a sentient ball of static electricity. Vengeance will be swift...or at least swiffer.

Good luck!

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    How old are they? I know you said a few weeks but my few weeks may be different from yours. [​IMG]

3. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I though McMurray shipped on Mondays to avoid that sort of thing?

Stewie and Tank look like girls to me, and I JUST notcied the Frizzle's name, to funny!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. Allsardane

Allsardane Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Ha! I'll tell Ms. Frizzle that she was named after you.

These birds arrived at my house on Monday the 28th of March which makes them about 7 or 8 weeks old.

And no, McMurray does their best to ship, but they have no control over whether or not our local post office staffs on Sunday. I specifically went to my Post Office on Friday (after leaving a note on my post box on Thursday) and the manager assured me that they would have someone staffing on Sunday in the event that they arrived. Well, they didn't and my box of 33 chickens sat in an unheated 3-walled delivery port from Sunday at 4am to Monday at 4am with temperatures falling as low as 18 degrees. The lady who called me at 4am on Monday was crying about it because she had gotten my note and felt positively horrible about how these chickens were handled. I wasn't so keen on the while situation myself.

I'm honestly hoping that all 4 of them are females.

5. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    They all look like girls to me, possibly even the Silkie.

6. chrisf

chrisf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    The Japanese Bantam is a pullet...........................................................................chrisf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by