A fun guessing game this morning, from my coop!

halimak1

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2016
North Alabama

So there are a total of 6 females in my duck flock. One is I'm sure a pekin mutt duck I bought locally and she is my only layer. Until today,maybe?! The other 5 are abt. 18 weeks and I found two eggs this morning! Now either my one duck layed two or we just might have a new layer! What do you think just based on the eggs?! (I'm pretty sure the cleaner uniform one is from my current layer, I'm questioning the one with heavy bloom).

They do! It looks like a clutch of eggs but it's a bunch of ducks that laid them. My ducks even lay in the same corner of their nestbox(it's the far corner of course).

Actually, a duck can lay more that one egg in a day. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I have experienced it myself. 18 weeks seems very young for a duck to start laying.

The plot thickens! She has laid two eggs before, but they were both soft shelled. We shall see! Oh, I also went back to look, they are 19 weeks. It feels like I have been waiting forever for them to start laying!!!

Last edited:
My KC's started at 19 weeks so it's possible.

The plot thickens! She has laid two eggs before, but they were both soft shelled. We shall see! Oh, I also went back to look, they are 19 weeks. It feels like I have been waiting forever for them to start laying!!!
What breed are they? With a high production breed like khaki campbells, they start at approximately 20 weeks(mine went 19 for an early one and up to 22 for the late bloomers)

Actually, a duck can lay more that one egg in a day. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I have experienced it myself. 18 weeks seems very young for a duck to start laying.
I don't think pekins are known for high production but don't look at me I don't have em
idunno.gif

Last edited:
My Pekins came from Metzer Farms, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Apparently will lay about 200 a year. I don't know how that compares to other ducks. But I do know they are almost twice the size of my current laying hen (don't know her breed). So they are healthy :D haha

My KC's started at 19 weeks so it's possible.

Maybe I'm mixing my normal chicken maturing rates and my duck rates. My WH took 30 weeks. They were fall hatches so had to wait all winter till the days got longer. Thought they were going to lay for like two months before that. Turns out they were just fat.
lau.gif
Guess they needed a little padding for those cold winter days.

I don't think pekins are known for high production but don't look at me I don't have em
idunno.gif
I don't know if production numbers have anything to do with it. Maybe. Pekins are decent layers, not the top laying breed but still good. If it's a Pekin cross maybe the other breed is a high laying breed.

Back
Top Bottom