1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Fun Read

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lunachick, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hey all, I just finished reading a small book called "Hen and the Art of Chicken Maintenance" by Martin Gurdon. It was a real cute book on his experiences chickening. Thought you might want to check it out. Unless, of course, you all read it already!

2. SAZLife

SAZLife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    That's a pretty funny title. Is "quality" discussed at all? [​IMG]

3. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Hadn't heard of that title, gonna see if library has it! Thanks!

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hi SAZlife, Yes there is quality in it. It's got humor with his experiences and he had to learn stuff the hard way, the reader learns from HIS mistakes! I read it in an afternoon. (Long afternoon, Sunday was a Nor'easter for us here)

5. SAZLife

SAZLife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Cool LC. I've tried to finish Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maint for several years now. It seems like the meditations on quality...just...lead..me..off..into...circular.....reasoning........and........daydreams........

6. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

I loved that book!
    Read it last year.

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I also bought this book. It was fun and a quick read.

Actually... it was downright hilarious in parts!

-Meg

P.S. This isn't a book about meditation at all! It's pretty much the story of a guy who decides (or has decided for him) to get some chickens.

8. Finch

Finch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    Another "chicken" book is Still Life with Chickens by Catherine Goldhammer, a funny, poignant, and beautifully written memoir of a difficult time for the author and her daughter, and how 6 little chicks brightened their lives. It also mentions BackYardChickens!!! (which is how I discovered thisgreat website).

Francie in Western NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by